Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

Is this a fair estimate from a carpenter?

bostonoak
9 years ago

I live in the Greater Boston area.

I know that the best way to determine whether an estimate is fair is by having 2 other estimates. However, time does not allow me. So I'm doing the next best thing which is asking for your advice. I know you will not disappoint me.

I'm planning some renovations in my Somerville condo.

The carpenter, with whom I've consulted, wants $3000 for labor and $600 to pull the permit. Total: $3,600.

This carpenter has a Construction Supervisor License and will do the following:

1) Pull a permit.

2) After plumber removes old kitchen sink cabinet, carpenter needs to remove drywall above and behind old sink cabinet. My plaster guy will replace drywall.

3) Install 6 kitchen cabinets (3 upper cabinets, 3 base cabinets, no demolition required).

4) Install dyer vent (dryer will be installed by plumber).

5) Link bathroom fan with roof vent cap (bathroom fan and vent cap has already been installed on the roof).

6) Have a shelf built above my kitchen sink because the new stackable washer and dryer is going right next to my sink and I will lose the space I had for my dish rack. So I need a shelf, made of some water proof material, built above my kitchen sink to serve as platform for my dish rack.

7)Remove old door and install bi-fold door in kitchen pantry.

8)Seal off one kitchen door, which is an extra door and make it part of the wall (I have a blue board and plaster guy. All I need from the carpenter is for him to put up two by fours. The plaster guy will do the rest).

9) Remove old deck door and install a new one.

1. Remove a small archway between kitchen and living room.

2. Make bedroom closet deeper by extending it forward.

3. Install a regular door knob on bedroom door.

Is this a fair estimate? Please, any feedback will be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (7)