Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Selecting Finishes

Posted by liljo (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 5, 09 at 14:44

Anyone have any suggestions on selecting my finishes? Currently there is Brushes Nickel in the Kitchen then Chrome in the upstairs bar, downstairs powder sink faucet and upstairs guest bath faucet and shower. We updated the current master with Oil Rub Bronze and are trying to figure out what to do in our addition we are adding. We are adding on a master suite and a jack and jill bath and a utility dog wash and sink. What do you think about keeping the kitchen silver bonze and the guest and powder chrome and have the additional bedrooms we are adding oil rub bronze and the dog wash and utility sink brushed nickel? Is that too many different finishes? Just trying to figure out the less cost yet making them flow. Also, our fans and door hardware are silver nickel. I was thinking about keeping the fans silver nickel and updating the door hardware to a finish that works with all. Then, keeping the Chrome in the existing Upstairs and Powder bathrooms but changing them out with the same brand of faucet so they are in the same family. Then, having the Jack and Jill and the upstairs current master that will be turning into the guest be the same family along with the new master. Any thoughts or suggestions? It is driving me crazy. Or should my current master be the only Oil Rub Bronze?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Selecting Finishes

You seem to have every finish available. Look at them and pick the one you like for the project you're doing now. The only rule to follow is, "Do you like it?"
Ron

o
RE: Selecting Finishes

I have a similar problem. I like oil rubbed bronze. We will be replacing a chandelier and a shower door soon and are having trouble deciding if we should buy stuff that matches existing hardware which we don't like (gold) in order to avoid the temptation to replace everything, or to get what we like today and plan on updating the rest later.

Bathroom is chrome, which is nice enough, but I don't want it in the dining room.

All door handles are gold.

All cabinets have brushed nickel knobs.

Oh, and I made the mistake of buying a brushed nickel front door set which is inconsistent with the rest of the house.

If money wasn't a concern I would replace everything with oil rubbed bronze.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here