Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two doors to 1st floor bathroom

Posted by SusanB2000 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 14:42

I live in a 1920's bungalow that had an addition added 10 years ago. The first floor bathroom, originally the only bathroom, has two doors - one goes to the kitchen/family room area via a short hallway and the other goes to the stair case as well as the living room. I would like to close off the door to the stairs/living room, but my husband wants to keep both doors. We basically use the bathroom as a cut through to go upstairs, but it's awkward when we have guests. For resale, would it be better to just have one entry to the bathroom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two doors to 1st floor bathroom

We basically use the bathroom as a cut through to go upstairs, but it's awkward when we have guests.

I bet!

Let the buyers decide.

o

I personally think it's kinda gross to have a traffic pattern through a bathroom. I'll bet that more people agree with me than not. I'd close that sucker off in a minute.

o

I have two doors on my first floor bathroom. One door leads to the foyer/hallway and the other door leads to my office.

I think the two doors are fine.

o

I don't think it will affect your resale value. These kinds of connected rooms are common in older homes, and unless you've dramatically changed the character of the home it won't be out of place.

I assume there are other options to reach the stairs other than going through the bath? If not, that may be a concern for buyers with more modern sensibilities. Most of us today wouldn't want to *have* to use a bathroom as a hallway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here