Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puffie_gw

Treatment for pine stair treads

puffie
10 years ago

Hi!

I'm trying to refinish the wood stair treads in my house. They're just junky ones (probably the construction-grade ones that were installed 25 years ago under carpet) but I think they will look ok with a carpet runner. The problem I'm having is that every treatment I attempt to use on the stairs is causing the wood to go about 4 shades darker and very orange. I tried clear, oil-based urethane, a very light colored stain plus poly, and clear, water-based polycrylic. All three ended up the same dark orange color. Lame!

I want the treads to be a nice light color because the floor is hickory and is a light color with no orange in it (see picture). In the pictures, the top stair is clear oil-based, the middle stair is light stain, bottom stair is clear water-based.

Does anyone know of a way to keep the beautiful light color that the natural wood has?

Comments (10)

• clg7067
    10 years ago

Is that the floor you want to match on the bottom of the stairs. I think just a clear finish, then. You could use an unwaxed shellac sealer to add a little color.

Here is a link that might be useful: sealer

This post was edited by clg7067 on Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 15:23

• puffie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, that is the floor at the bottom of the stairs. If you take a quick look back at my post, 2 of the 3 blotches of orange that you see on the stairs are clear finishes. Do you think shellac will be different than water-based polycrylic?

• kai615
    10 years ago

Your only issue could be that Polycrylic is not rated for floors so it may look like you want it to now, however it may not last very long. I am no expert however, just another DIYer, so take my advice only on that.

I don't know what you should be using, but if no one else chimes in, I have had reason on my current project, to have to call Minwax for help. They are surprisingly helpful.

• kai615
    10 years ago

Your only issue could be that Polycrylic is not rated for floors so it may look like you want it to now, however it may not last very long. I am no expert however, just another DIYer, so take my advice only on that.

I don't know what you should be using, but if no one else chimes in, I have had reason on my current project, to have to call Minwax for help. They are surprisingly helpful.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

Can you post pics?

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

But, if she plans to put a carpet runner in the middle, where the traffic is mostly at, then what is on the edges is likely to get scuffed up much, I'd think.

• puffie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the info, everyone!

I have to use a carpet runner on these stairs, because the center area is pretty trashed. One had the lip of the stair partly broken and another one had a big open knot. They're not pretty enough to stand alone, but i think they will look fine mostly covered up. I'm hoping i won't regret using the water based stuff, but the part of the tread that shows won't really be walked on.

Here are pictures. the treads have two coats of polycrylic right now, and I'm planning to add a third.

• puffie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic

• puffie
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This pic shows how different the wood looks with the various treatments i tried. The dark orange patches are supposed to be plain, clear polyurethanes. The rest of the stairs are treated with the diluted whitewash and then two coats of poly.

This post was edited by puffie on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:37