Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How large can I go with crown molding on 8 ft Ceilings???

Posted by bcar473 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 28, 06 at 13:37

I recently bought 400 linear feet of 8 inch crown molding for our house from a guy who's wife wanted bigger crown for her ceilings. I bought it on an impulse buy, but now everyone I talk to says that it will look ugly on my poor little 8 foot ceilings. These moldings are awesome and have multi demensions to them. Is 8 inch crown too much for my project?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How large can I go with crown molding on 8 ft Ceilings???

Ugly is a matter of personal taste. 3"- 5" is standard crown, but I have double crown moldings that extend to 9-1/2" that look great in a room with 8' ceilings.

o

It's not neccessarily too large for an 8' room, but will it be in scale with the remainder fo the trim in the room?

Even if it is not in scale, that may not matter depending on the amount of existing trim and the combined sightlines of the room.

Mongo

o

To be honest, even my wife thinks its kinda garish and oversized for the room. I just want to use the stuff! It would be a shame to take the loss on such beautiful crown molding!

How do I tell the sightlines and scale to make the moldings fit and look natural?

o

Go ahead and nail some it up and look at it in place. If it looks good to you after a week then do a permanent installation. If not then take it down and sell it. If you can, include an outside corner in your test because crown is most noticeable at outside corners.

As far as scale, crown that size should be matched with 71/2" base and 4" case in round numbers. The window trim will look better if it includes stool and apron. But, that's not a worry until you see if you like it on your ceiling.

Jan

o

What is a stool and apron for the window trim?

o

The stool is the window sill, the apron is moulding or trim that extends down, below the stool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here