Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dundasreno

Need help picking exterior siding colour to complement red brick

dundasReno
9 years ago

Hi! We have undertaken a complete home makeover by adding an addition to the rear of our home to act as a new family room, gutted the main floor and are replacing all of our existing windows, soffit, facia, front door and garage door. But we need help with colours for the siding. We have always liked the look of board and batten and are considering the composite materials available to achieve this look. However, our existing brick colour is making the choice of siding colour difficult.

The brick is reddish with some darker bricks throughout, but is lighter than most bricks I have seen. We live in Ontario, and have all 4 seasons to contend with. We have ordered white windows but would like recommendations for siding colour, soffit and facia colour, colour for our garage door (match siding colour?) and a front door colour that will stand out. Please help us with this major decision.

Comments (5)

• hippy
    9 years ago

A lot of companies making vinyl siding and the color names vary widely. That makes it hard to give a color without some reference to that specific color.

So here i am using Alside Vinyl Siding Colors as an example only.

If i were to pick colors of Alside with nothing more than photo of the brick to work with.

I would go with

Cap Cod Gray
    Harbor Blue
    Heather

http://www.scottishhomeimprovements.com/siding-denver/vinyl-siding-denver/vinyl-siding-colors/

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

dundas,

Choosing brck and siding colour was very challenging for us too. I am not sure we got it right, but it might give you some ideas or help you see a red brick with a different siding colour. We chose Brampton Brick Crawford colour in small Queen size. We used a taupe (beige/greige colour) for the board and batten siding, with grey trim. The door is a fiberglass door stained to look like mahogany and there is real wood mahogany trim on the door (not fiberglass trim). Our house is not finished yet, but I have posted a picture where we used Photoshop to show the railing (imagine glass on the railing not mesh). The steps are stone steps and were not installed when picture was taken so we used Photoshop to show the steps too. Sorry, the picture is old, but it is the only one I have that shows what the railing will look like.

Now, your brick has some yellow in it that our brick does not. So, I would not recommend the same colour siding as ours. You could do a beige, but not one that has hints of red undertones like ours does. Grey would also be a colour to explore.

Best of luck deciding! You could also try looking at the Maibac website for ideas of different board and batten siding colours.

Carol

• dundasReno
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the guidance. We had originally left it to our contractor to help with the material manufacturer, but are now taking a more active interest in this. We have settled on Maibec wood siding. However, we have found out that our house does not have wood strapping, so we are not able to do the board and batten without removing the existing fiberglass boards and wrapping in plywood which would be a significant cost increase.

Within the Maibec siding, we are considering either Ocean Grey or Pepperwood. We like the look of the darker stains, but are worried it might be too top heavy with the brick on the bottom. Here is another picture of our house, to give some perspective. We are considering the 6" rabbeted bevel, still with white trim. Not sure if we should use a different siding for the area above our second floor windows or add an architectural element to the peak.

Thank you Ontariomom and hippy for your thoughts! Ontariomom, your house is stunning!

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Our siding is also Maibec. We also seriously considered Pepperwood and Ocean Grey, but went with a Cabot colour offered by Maibec called thatch. Our colour has more red in it which seemed a good idea at the time (not sure now). We ordered 6 wood samples from Maibec and those you are considering were two of the 6 we ordered. Our window trim is Lamosite (a grey colour). I think I would lean towards Ocean Grey for you, but really hard to know without seeing the wood samples against your brick, shingles etc. Maybe if you order in samples from Maibec you could post the options for votes from GW.

Carol

• ontariomom
    9 years ago

Dundas,

Also wanted to add that I would match your garage door colour to the siding. Ours will be painted to match our siding (it is close now just because Garaga had a very similar colour) but it is a bit off so we will fix that. Also, we got our door from Doorway Inc in Burlington ON (I am guessing close to you?) which may be worth considering for the front door (their price was very reasonable too). I love our door as it looks very much like wood to me.

Carol

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz