Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homebuyer23

Wall down, should we frame it more or leave all open?

homebuyer23
10 years ago

We are in the middle of a kitchen & 1st floor reno. A large load bearing wall was knocked down and here is the resulting space as well as my original sketch floor plan of what we planned.

The fireplace room will now be our dining room (taking the place of a formal DR & EIKitchen), and it is wide open to what will now be our Family Room. We will be continuing the wood floors all throughout.

I cannot decide if I like it all open or if we should build the walls together more and make a cased opening, creating more of 2 separate rooms that are open to each other, rather than 1 open space. I am mostly concerned about how it looks. Either way, it will be open to the dining area and kitchen and I wanted that. But I want it to look right.

DH & GC think we're done, they like it open. I think I do, but part of me feels like it should be closed back up a little on the left side, creating a wide doorway, rather than all open. But Im wondering if I just have a hard time seeing that it will look good once drywall goes up.

someone suggested columns, but they're not really my style.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks!

Comments (2)