Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jamesfjamesf

Mast bed & bath: storage vs sinks?

jamesfjamesf
11 years ago

After reading this forum I think it's a better place than Organization for my question..

Hi folks..I recently bought a MA colonial and I'm unusually lost on design ideas. The "master" bed & bath take up the right half of the upstairs, running front to back. The bed is large but has no closet. The bath has all the plumbing on the left- 32" square shower, 18" wide sink, toilet. On the right is wire shelving for clothes. In the middle is a path to the bizarre small deck that hangs off the house in mid air. Completely not a bathroom for 2 people.

The choices I've come down to are, expand the shower (a must) and put 2 sinks on that right wall and get a large freestanding armoire for the bed room, or only have one sink and use the remaining 36" to move walls and build a big closet in the bedroom.

Personally I'd go the armoire route but I do need to keep in mind attractiveness to buyers. This is a family neighborhhod. Are built-in closets that desireable? It would make the room smaller.

The deck:

http://www.groupwbench.org/deck.jpg

thanks,

jim

Comments (19)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

How large are the bedroom and the bath?

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The bed is 15 x 16, and the bath is 11 x 6.5. The doorway between the two is on the 11' wall. Actually here's a floorplan I was finally able to get online. This shows the after, if I go with the armoire option. The current layout hs the sink between the toilet and smaller shower.

The armoire in the pic is 5' wide and 26 deep.

http://groupwbench.org/bedbath.JPG

thanks,
    jim

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

A 5' armoire isn't enough to hold two peoples' wardrobes. A better idea might be to build a 2'-deep closet all along the wall where the bed is now and move the bed to the opposite wall. This would give you about 12' of closet space. With proper planning you could probably integrate drawer space into the closets and eliminate the need for a dresser.

Or you could build it down the opposite wall, with a window seat in front of the window.

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a great idea, and I hadn't thought of using that wall. Unfortunately I did the plan wrong and lost 2' width. Heres' a new floor plan with the 2' closet wall. Those are 32" doors and a queen size bed. Seems like an obscene amount of closet space but I'm a bachelor. :-)

jim

Here is a link that might be useful:

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

What's the piece of furniture on the bottom wall between the two windows? If it's a chest, you can build it into the closet and free up the floor space.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

When you say you did the plan wrong and lost two feet of width, do you mean in the drawing or is the bedroom actually only 13 feet wide? If the latter, taking two feet out for the closet might make it a little narrow. Another alternative is to change the two windows at the bottom to a single window (if it works with everything else) flanked by closets. That would still leave you with a 13x14 bedroom.

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is a chest..

Yep. 13' wide, otherwise your idea would have worked and violated the apparent rule that no space planning will ever work in this house :-)

Changing windows is far too much work and expense, so that's out.

There is enough room for 2 armoires :-) I'm leaning less and less towards removing any space from the bathroom.

jim

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I threw together a plan with 2 built-in closets, given the overwhelming pro-closet response. Each are 2' deep and 4' wide.

I also moved the bath fixtures around, putting a large shower on the far wall and only one sink. Saw too many pictures of large, 1.5 -2 people showers, and too many negative reviews of corner showers. If I built in the shower with tile, I can have an angled wall with it narrower at the outside door end, with a bench, and wider at the bedroom end.

jim

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And another floor plan, better integrating Chibimini's idea of wall length closet and an integrated drawer unit, plus room for a TV above.

jim

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Can you move your bedroom door at all? (or is it right at the top of the stairs or something)? If you could more center it, I'd be inclined to put your closet space between bed proper and bathroom; with bed on "bottom" wall (of plan 5) between the 2 windows, as I think was intended.

Is that a possibility?

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope, bedroom door is fixed, at the end of the hall.

Hard to tell where the bed was intended to be, as the windows are too close and too low; any bed except a twin would block them.

jim

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A friend suggested dual sinks on the outside wall. I see it as awkward with the window there and no place for a medicine cabinet...

jim

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Lots to think about, James.

Bedbath3: Those catercorner closets chop up the space too much. How about sliding the one at lower left up to just below the doorway, and making it a 24" wide by 18" deep built-in dresser/cabinet? Then lengthen the one on the upper right until it ends opposite the end of the dresser. This gives you the dressing area close the the bath and makes the sleeping area more private.

Bedbath5: This is much better than a full wall of closets and won't make the room seem quite so narrow. It does make the bed placement a little awkward, having to work around the windows, so 3 as modified above might be the better option.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Another option on your bathroom layout is to take the layout as in bedbath5, but swap the toilet and the shower. This would allow you to make your shower longer, extending toward the door to the deck.

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this what you're thinking? I could even extend the short wall separating the bed from the dresser a bit more, giving it more privacy for when one person wants to sleep in...

I like showers with windows, despite the waterproofing I'll need to do.

jim

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Yes -- exactly! Except I'd probably shorten the closet to be even with the built-in dresser -- maybe make the closet three doors instead to two -- to keep the "bed" area as large as possible. Especially since you don't think you need too much closet space.
    Sorry, I forgot about the window in the shower area, but if you're willing to waterproof it, that'll give you a better bathroom layout.

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Uh ... that was supposed to be "three doors instead of four."

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I like iteration 7. I kind of feel you have a LOT of room infront of the closet doors that may be wasted though, but not sure what to tell you on how to fix it, unless you can move the bathroom door.

Also, I am partial to pocket doors in your situation (from bedroom to bathroom) so that you don't have to "walk around" the door to get to the toilet, but you'll have to decide that for yourself.

• jamesfjamesf
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After staring at the bathroom (the real one not the plan), moving the shower will be far too much work. Sticking to my original plan with just moving the sinks and enlarging the shower to 48 x 36 means I can leave the floor, radiator and window as they are. And do it a lot faster, which is the main driver, as I can't do the kitchen until the bathroom is complete; I need to open the kitchen wall for the relocated sink drain.

Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas, you made this process much easier and the end result much more useful.

jim