Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taras1_gw

My NY Home Improvement Nightmare, & don;t know what to do.

taras1
12 years ago

I hired a NY Licensed Home Improvement Contractor last year and he didn't finish work, didn't do what is in the contract, hardly ever on job sight and tried to charge me more for what was in the contract. I have water damage directly due to his work. I have water coming into my house above the bow windows from the header and into the seat and into the wall. There is moisture into the walls by the other bow window also.

He also put romex simpull electricial wire directly under the vinyl siding for exterior lights and told me it is within code. I argued with him for 6 weeks due to me a woman finding out this wire is interior wire and he used it for lighting outside directly under the siding he put a grove in the insulation and placed the yellow wire there. My lights inside house flickered and i took a piece of this and investigated. He refused to call the code dept. after arguing with him 6 weeks i threatened to fire him. by the way he had the siding guys do this not a electrician. One of the lights was totally new due to not having lighting on this side of the house. He installed the new light fixtures I purchased but didn't set it to work with sensor. They touched it but didn't get it working right. And that is how i am left. Also one of the rectangle box that I think is supposed to be outside the siding for repairs is under the siding. He finally had a guy telling me he is a electrician but not licensed and said he is working under his bosses license no and he is working himself do the conduit bars. first this guy told me hey lady this conduit doesn't have to be done the romex is ok. you are making me do this for nothing. This is who the contractor hires, someone that is not licensed and doesn't know that romex simpull is not within code in no. Well I told the contractor i want a licensed elec. to do this job and he said only if you pay for it. He was also supposed to let me know when someone will come to do this job. he didn't and job was almost done when i spoted this guy he hired to do electricial. I do not know what is inside the conduit. He also used old conduit and new together and old looks like rusted parts from someones elses job. He was ordering the wrong size windows and i corrected this while he was in the store ordering it he happen to call me and i asked what model he was ordering and then talked to salesman and he finally agreed with me it is a different model needed for this rough opening. trouble with his plumbing left with methane gas going into my basement. this was corrected. he was supposed to put roofs above the bow windows and instead he took off the flashing that was good and put flashing on that i told him when i first saw him i do not want and wanted roofs. Well that is all he did is flashing and not a good job. it leaks into the header and down into the seat of the window and into the wall. there is moisture into the walls of both bow window but one is worse due to not being close to the roof overhang. also the gutters he installed are not right, he tried to remove the ornament above the porch and then i was informed it is deep into the roof. now the roof leaks due to playing around with trying to take off the ornament. I agreed for them to leave on the ornament but paint it the siding color instead, well they painted it white. and was told well he will come back in the spring and paint it siding color, never did. the dryer vents vent out and also directly under the siding/insulation. they installed insulation and vinyl siding but just but on the vent cap. therefore there is no connection from the duct to the vent cap. there are 3 vents like this. i didn't realize this till this summer. siding was coming off the top row and was supposed to be checked all around to see if there is other problems and they didn't do this. They were supposed to remove any wood that was rotted below the bows by supporting it and removing and replacing it as he said he would do. they just added a strip of wood to the rotted wood and atached the aluminum to it. they installed 2 double hung windows and didn't do a lead test. 4 of the windows were with mulloins and i was told it was but together by the manufacturer and it wasn't it was done by the store they ordered it from. It was not right and they didn't find out till old windows were out and new one on scaffold. He was supposed to give me 4 decorative headers above the 4 front windows and didn't. he tried to charge me alot more for it and he was supposed to give me maintanance free headers and instead he gave me a catalog of ones you need to paint. that is not maintanance free when there is 2 1/2 floors up. many more misc. not right and not complete. the porch leak is dangerous due to it going onto the porch and down the stairs and freezing in winter. I do not know what to do. there is a bathroom on this contract and sidewalk and driveway not done. he also wanted to paint when it was freezing and i said you can't he still said well maybe last nov. if it is warmer he will still do the cement work. i said no you need to wait till spring. not done.

I reported him to ny consumers and he reported something that is not right to better business beureau to get back at me. he responded to consumers and with lies and put downs and said i was the worse person he ever had to work with that i argued throughout the job. and hammpered the job he was trying to say this. he said it is a 40 year old house and he haven't done anything on it which is not the case but this is not important anyway he is hired to do what is in the contract and he didn't. he now said we need new windows. well why did he sign he will support the windows and take out old wood and replace it. I now called the window manufacturer and they said the wood outside needs to be replaced and that is where the new seat needs to be attached to and only to this wood under the window and if it is rotted he needs to even rempve it and replace it and put in new seat and header. Contractor said seat and header was not on the contract and tried to put on henrys 547 floor compound it was totally cracked i called the manu. and was told this item is only for floor tile. in contract he was supposed to give thin wood above the header but new seat. now due to water i need new both. and i need windows to be removed and new wood and seat and header. at this point i am so upset. i have living room look terible. dining room with bathroom sink and tile ect. bathroom ceiling ceiling open due to new area of venting this and do not know if they insulated around it.

The contractor gave me a contract. it was vague and not all on it that was discussed and some not as discussed also.

I wrote up a contract after receiving his but didn't sign it. he got a copy of mine and he made an appt to sign both and give him a deposit. both signed same date. but long time after signing both contracts he then said change order and was trying to charge extra for what was in my contract and not on his contract. i never agreed to this and there is no signing of or mension of additional fee for it.

he is now talking about taking me to small claims count for $4000.00 of work not done. what about work not done he said it is. and what about damage he caused me. i think i might need a lawyer but i also need to deal with the problem he now gave me and this expense and water with windows and roof and gutters that was paid for.

don't have unlimited funds and am a senior. This has really affected me and i do not know what to do or who to hire and told i can't touch it yet by ny consumers, and so much hanging.

bborzoi@verizon.net

Comment (1)