Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Building a closet

Posted by CEFreeman (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 11:18

Hello all! Kind of a quiet board, I see. Well, I'll ask anyway. :)

I plan to build a closet in a room that should have had one. What would be the minimum, practical depth I should plan for this? 24" inside?

Thanks,
Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Building a closet

Clothes closet?

Minimum 24" inside.

o

Yup!

o

Out of curiosity, what is the MINIMUM required WIDTH for a closet?

o

Minimum width? I don't know at all if there's a code minimum, but I'd say minimum would be wide enough to get a garment on a hanger into. Maybe wide enough for a pair of shoes.

After all, gym lockers are considered wide enough. But they're far from deep enough!

o

"After all, gym lockers are considered wide enough. But they're far from deep enough!"

You mean you are unable to stow your baseball bats laying down?

o

I guess I should have specified minimum PRACTICAL width for the space to actually be considered a true closet, not a gym locker.

o

The minimum width has to do with the width of the door. The door will be smaller than the interior width, simply because of framing requirements. There are some pantry or bath closets with 16" doors, and 24" interior width. That could work for hanging clothes, but not very many of them!

o

If you're really cramped for space, 18"-19" deep will do.
(Be sure to account for the drywall on top of the framing.)

To see how much space you'll feel comfortable with, place a shirt or jacket on the hangers you're using and measure. Wood or heavy plastic hangers will require more space. In D.C., probably not many parkas or snowsuits.

This post was edited by worthy on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 16:58

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here