Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladyvixen84

Eye sore stairs...

ladyvixen84
12 years ago

I have a few pictures, and i'm needing ideas on how to fix these stairs which are exactly in the middle of the kitchen, separating the den and kitchen areas.

We would like to find a way to minimize the size of the stairs so we can utilize more of the kitchen. Or at least make the stairs look better if they cannot be removed and or shortened.

I also have a stone fireplace in the den. I'm not sure if the material is desirable in today's market or if it needs an upgrade. I would like to put some white wood around the opening of the fireplace and some type of mantle.

Any and all ideas/opinions are very much appreciated!

Fireplace

{{!gwi}}

Stairs

{{!gwi}}

With the stairs, there is literally a space of a foot wide by a foot long between the stair entrance and the wall on the right side. The stairs have disallowed the older owners to install more counter space and base cabinets in the kitchen.

Comments (12)

• User
    12 years ago

With only 1' of clearance, it's doubtful if those stairs ever met any grandfathered building codes. It's probably an unpermitted second story addition. They certainly don't meet any current codes. In many locations, renovating without permits is a pretty serious and very costly can of worms awaiting you. If the whole second floor was done without permits, it could take 40-50K to bring it up to code. Even if your location didn't require the second floor to be rebuilt, they would require that those stairs be redone. They would need to be completely torn down and the rise and run reconfigured. That would leave them ending beyond the wall. So you'd need to figure in a landing and turn for them. That just swallowed up even more space.

There's no good news here at all. Run away.

• Ian80
    12 years ago

Well those are indeed an eyesore. Unfortunaly those pictures and the info you have provided don't have the information needed to be able to recomend any changes.

What is the size of the opening on the second floor and where are the wall in relation to the opening?

What is the floor to floor height?

What is the ceiling height on the first floor?

What is the total run/length from the header at the top of the stairs to the wall at the bottom of the stairs?

Ian

• weedyacres
    12 years ago

Shortening the stairs is problematic, because that can only be accomplished by either a higher rise on each stair or narrower treads, both of which are less safe and violate code. You'd need to put a landing in and turn them 90 degrees. Which, as hollysprings said, eats up more floor.

If you can post a few more photos, or a sketch of the upstairs and downstairs floorplans, with measurements, we might be able to toss out a couple more options.

• worthy
    12 years ago

I would like to put some white wood around the opening of the fireplace and some type of mantle.

Check your Code for the minimum mantel clearance to the firebox. But you're absolutely not allowed to put wood around the opening.

• ladyvixen84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not sure of the measurements of the stairs. I can get that tomorrow while the SE is looking at the foundation. I was thinking about removing the stairs that are there, and placing spiral stairs to help with the space issue. I need to check my codes for them first, im just trying to get options as to what can be done before making a decision on what to do if we buy the home.

Worthy- I don't care to much for the stone. It takes up one whole wall and really makes the room look drab and small. I want something that is more plain and a tad bit more elegant. The stones also get hot to touch when using the fireplace, and with young ones that's going to be a slight problem.

Stairs(need to get measurements and codes) but an option?

{{!gwi}}

Fireplace examples of what I'd like to do

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Now, i'm not familiar with the 1920's as I was born in the late 80's. Is the fireplace thats in it now era appropriate for a 1920 farmhouse? If not...where can I look at example fireplaces from that era?

• User
    12 years ago

How would you get a mattress up those stairs? A dresser? Spirals are great to access open lots above, but they totally suck to have for access to a 2nd floor.

Your first fireplace pic is probably a electric one or a faux one. You cannot have wood that close to the firebox and it doesn't have a hearth. If the fireplace is as old as you say it is, then you need a chimney sweep out to inspect the flue. It may be damaged, but it is certain to be full of creosote. If the stone wall gets "hot" as you said, that's a BIG RED FLAG. It should only be warm to the touch.

Your insurance company will want a report from a flue inspection before deciding if your home can be insured with that fireplace as active. My insurance company required that our fireplace either be redone or decommissioned. We chose to decommission and place candles in it.

If you want to cosmetically redo the fireplace, you are looking at 3-5K. If the functionality is compromised and it needs to be rebuilt, then you are looking at another 3-15K, depending on what the damage is and which options you choose. Blocking off the flue and leaving it alone would cost you less than $500.

• ladyvixen84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The flue was inspected per the insurance the seller has, as it is listed as active. I'm not sure how "hot" the stones get, but when asking my father about the fireplace he said they will get hot(he has a stone fireplace) in his home in MI. So I am assuming mine will be the same?

I was able to see all the paperwork on what the seller has had inspected and fixed/updated. He also put a new insert in the fireplace last winter.

The example of getting furniture up spiral stairs...I am so glad you mentioned that. It isn't something we thought through entirely lol we are just throwing out options. I guess what we could do, before we do anything ourselves, is hire a contractor and see what his opinion would be. BUT I don't plan on making any big changes until we have lived in the home for a year.

• bsspewer
    12 years ago

i would walk away..find another home

• chisue
    12 years ago

I wouldn't get into this project, but...

Can you reverse the stairs or build them along a wall? You can enclose stairs and put closets underneath them. They ARE a safety hazard as they stand -- not merely homely.

You could trim out the fireplace with a concrete or metal surround. You could refit the firebox with gas logs and glass doors; that would *provide* safe heat (instead of sucking it up the chimney). That massive stone wall is what it is; many people would admire it, but it's not ever going to look 'formal'.

• ladyvixen84
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bsspewer- Ones mans trash is another mans treasure. I'm not walking away from the house. Everything has potential, it just costs a lot :)

Chisue- We are going to hire a contractor to see what our options are, I have 1400sq ft to work with and I'm sure something can be done. Their ugly stairs by all means, but they are original stairs built with the home, I'm not looking to destroy 91yrs of history. The railings are added on to bring the stairs to code. If all else fails, it adds character and I hate to say it, but some paint might do it some good.

The fireplace is lovely, I admire the stone but it just takes up the whole wall. I'm sure when our contractor comes out he can think of something for both items. If not, we can easily live with it.

• chisue
    12 years ago

Well...there's "History" and there's just old and poorly designed.

I actually like the stone wall -- doesn't seem typical of a 1920's farmhouse though. Where is this house? Was the stonework added after the farmhouse was built? Is this the only stonework there?

It sounds as though you own the property. Yes?

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Hi - I don't have anything better to add to the above wise advice, but I'm wondering if you can explain a little about the pictures. In the first I see a sort of wooden sky-light or just light-type fixture on the ceiling in front of the fireplace, but I can't seem to find that in the second photo. What am I missing? ... or maybe I can just make it out in the second picture extending to about where the railing dives into the ceiling from the second picture's perspective? What is that please?! Is it a light fixture?

Good luck with your new house! I can see why you view it as a treasure. Although it seems you have a new baby and this might not be ideal from a safety standpoint, it could be more attractive visually if you "floated" the staircase by removing the vertical slats of wood that extend to the bannister - they're a little 'heavy'. It would allow you to see between rooms that way among other advantages.