Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mare40_gw

Aqua Grantique Granite Questions

Mare40
12 years ago

This is my first post here. I have found this website very helpful while remodeling our kitchen.

We finally settled on Aqua Grantique after a lot of searching and my husband is in love with it. I am not sure how many people have this stone, I have seen it in pictures in one kitchen on this site.

I have two questions.

We are back and forth on honed or polished. I prefer a matte look overall but dh thinks it makes this particular stone look dull, that the veins pop more when polished. We are a military family so do have to keep resale or rental property in mind and I am thinking polished may appeal to more buyers/renters. I would appreciate your input on honed vs. polished with aqua grantique.

Our new concern though is that we just found out they can't find a slab large enough so we either have to pick a new granite (eek! Not back to square 1! I have found a few options thanks to this site but dh is not ready to give up on AG yet. ) or live with a seam. Anyone with Aqua that has a seam and can tell us how obvious or bothersome it may or may not be?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• Mare40
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's right, I did read it is a gneiss. We went to our fabricator today to talk about the seam and added cost of second slab. We have to think it over. We do love the Aqua but I have started researching some alternatives too. After reading here I am also considering cambrian black, nordic black, or via lactea.

Thanks for your input!

• jjaazzy
    12 years ago

I have no personal experience with honed myself, I have polished in my kitchen, but will tell you that my Aunt put in a dark solid surface and did it in the honed because she didn't want shiny at the time but now says she doesn't care for it cause it always looks dirty. She says she is always wiping it. She now thinks that the polished would have given a cleaner look. It makes sense to me.

• madisonkd
    12 years ago

I'm sure you already picked a granite, but for what it's worth, this is one of my favorite granites! Plus, I love that it's a WI "homegrown" granite:) I have used this in kitchens where my clients want the look of soapstone, but want something that does not scratch as easily. I usually get the leather finish- much more like soapstone. I have also noticed that you will not see smudges and oils on the leather finish as much as a solid black granite that is honed. I love, love, love, this granite!!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Post in the kitchen forum--some people there have had it. There are also threads about it from last year or so.

The point of this stone is that it mimics or suggests soapstone, so a polished surface misses the point. I've seen photos of the leathered and it looks pretty cool.

What somebody overheard somebody's mother or in-law might've once said about a completely different countertop material that has no relation whatsoever to this one is not really relevant.

• jeboland
    10 years ago

Mare40: Did you go with the Aqua Grantique? Which finish did you get and how do you like it? I want Aqua Grantique in my kitchen, but all I can find locally are polished slabs. The fabricator will hone it for me if I want, but I'm not sure how it would look. If you went with a honed finish, did you use any kind of oil or enhancer to darken it? Thanks!

• milesdog
    5 years ago

We recently underwent a major addition/remodel and put the honed Aqua Grantique in our Wisconsin home. We love that it is from our state rather than being imported from another part of the world. We originally wanted soapstone but Julie at Elegant Stone suggested that we consider the Aqua Grantique because of the benefits of the granite in regards to strength, durability and upkeep. We love the results. The seams are not an issue. We can highly recommend Aqua Grantique.

Aqua Grantique Granite Countertop · More Info

Craftsman Kitchen · More Info

Spec House to Craftsman Makeover · More Info