Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
smooth stucco questions

Posted by GoofyYno (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 8:32

I am looking to get a venetian plaster look on an outside block wall. the contractor says Venetian plaster is only an indoor technique. He said he can do a smooth stucco, which we could paint later. I was thinking if I have him use a cement type dye on the smooth stucco, how would it look?
or could I do a venetian plaster over the stucco?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: smooth stucco questions

The term " venitian plaster" is probably confusing the contractor. An experienced stucco finisher can offer a wide variety of textures. On a traditional stucco topcoat, you can have light to heavy texture options, while the newer acrylic/elastomeric topcaoats are limited to fine. If you are in an area that has constant freezing in the winter and major temperature changes throughout the year, i'd go with the acrylic as it flexes, (expands/contracts), with those changes and lessens the chance for cracking. Either your contractor is inexperienced or simply doesn't want to mess with texturing, but either way, again, an experienced finisher can offer a multitude of patterns.

Here is a link that might be useful: topcoat pattern samples

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here