Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ct_newbie

Help with managing contractors Part II

CT_Newbie
10 years ago

So we are down to two contractors for our full kitchen remodel, coffering of a ceiling and creation of a mudroom project (plus new floors in a bathroom and a new shower fixture). Contractor A is full service but his first estimate was high for the kitchen job. I'm hoping that now that he had his subs in to look at it, he can tighten up his pricing. Contractor B would require I use my own floor and paint guys whom I have lined up. His pricing is much better but I am concerned that if one part of the schedule changes, we have to back up the floor and paint people and potentially could run into scheduling issues. Plus, just purchased the house and want to move in completely after the remodel is done so the move could be affected. (Contractor B had a painter whom I had called on my own, not through Contractor B but the painter never gave me an estimate after visiting the place.) That said, I've heard lots of good things about Contractor B and he gave the better price. I feel we have a tough choice between two highly qualified teams.

Next year, we will do a master bath remodel and maybe some other minor work on the other bathrooms. There won't be as many things to coordinate and we have extra bathrooms. I wonder if Contractor B would still give the better price then and I wouldn't have the concerns about timing/scheduling as I do now. Several years from now, we might finish off the attic and the basement. We'd want to do those economically whereas now the kitchen we really want to be our dream kitchen.

If I give the kitchen/coffer/mudroom project to Contractor A, should I offer the small bathroom floor and plumbing to keep him in the picture for work down the road? Or is that insulting? I think he might give the better price on the bathroom, attic and basement and do an excellent job. I like the idea of having two contractors so long as they don't get in each other's way. I am concerned that Contractor A might price high for future projects so I would need to get competitive bids for the bathroom and I'm out of contractors that I know of as we used up all the good ones for the kitchen bid and they are unlikely to want to bid again for the next project since they lost the first.

Please advise. Thank you!

Comments (2)