Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to make stairs (half wall no banister) look nicer

Posted by mellyc123 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 6, 11 at 0:45

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions ( pics would be awesome) on making a stair entry like this look nicer. It is so plain. The carpet has been replaced, painting in progress, and I would like to add moulding to the dining room ( left side behind those lovely arches). Grout is being stained so those grid lines don't show as much.

I can not take out the stair walls and add banisters, however I was wondering if there was moulding or something that could give it a nicer look.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to make stairs (half wall no banister) look nicer

How about some fabricated newel posts or half columns maybe 8"x8" with raised panel sides and a cap, at the end of each wall and then a raised paneled wainscote going up the stairs. Get rid of the handrail with brackets and incorporate a handrail into the top of the wainscoting.

o

Sounds like a great idea... I had no idea what "newel" posts were named but that is exactly what I was looking for and did not realize they came fabricated.

I had to google the newel post and the wainscote with handrail and I found this link for anyone else interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: tight staircase wainscoting handrail project

o

Thats what I was talking about! I've done just that for clients.
What I meant though about fabricating a newel was to 45 the edges of four 1x8s and wrap a double 2x4 post to make it look like a solid column. There are also ways to make them like raised or recessed panels on the side of each column.

o

If you want something with simple lines, you could also do picture frame molding.

Here is a link that might be useful: stair molding

o

Wow that is a great link, and a good tool mentioned. I may be able to actually do that myself.

o

Great link and pics. (Except for his wife's bruised bum.)

But unless you plan on ornamenting the room with complementary wainscotting or decor it may look odd to have lavished all that attention on just the stairs. Also, check out building code restrictions re the handrail. There is a minimum space required between the rail and wall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here