Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
finallyhome_gw

Exterior Remodel (X Post)

finallyhome
10 years ago

I want to change the exterior of my home to give it a more "modern" feel on a slight budget. What do you think about these changes? Are they feasible?

1) Adding the roof element in the 2nd photo above the front door? I also would like a transcom (I think that is the word) window above the door.

2) Adding the large window below the small window similiar to the picture with a new modern front door.

3) Replace the brick wall with a metal railing system

4) Painting the colors similiar to the 2nd picture.

The house is a small zero lot line home and another goal is to get more light into the home.

Thanks for ANY suggestions. Also, please feel free to photo shop the changes. I've seen some wonderfull results on other posts.

Comments (5)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Define a "small" budget. And your level of DIY ability. The only project that you mention that would be "small" as far as budget would be changing the paint. And that would only be DIYable if you own or will rent scaffolding and have a lot of spare time. If you have to pay a contractor to do it, you're not looking at a small budget project anymore.

Your home already has a strong SoCal Spanish influenced modern design. It will take quite a bit of money to take it in the direction that you want, with the projects you've outlined. It would be cheaper to keep it's current identity and run with it. Adding a tile roof would be all that's needed for that to happen. Or, with your preference for a more industrial type modern, do a metal roof instead. I could see doing it in a terracotta red or orange and that would both stay with it's current bones, and take it in the direction that you want to go also. Probably be cheaper than all of those other projects too, even though it's not a "budget" project either.

• finallyhome
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Budget: $10K
    DIY level: 0
    Getting what I want: Priceless

• awm03
    10 years ago

Can you post a larger photo? One that's taken directly in front of the home instead of on an angle would be nice. Angled photos are too difficult to photoshop (as are little photos).

You might be able to add the large window & replace the door for $10K

• User
    10 years ago

Painting alone will run 8-10K. That contraption for the entry way? Probably 15K. Replacing the window? (You can't "add" a window below it and have it work well at all, or be waterproof) Probably 5-6K. It's an expensive and large window you want to copy. Replacing the brick wall with a glass railing? 3-5K.

So, 50K approximately for everything you want to do. If you don't have a lot of money, you're going to have to get handy and learn to DIY some projects. It's the only way to stretch a budget. If you don't have time to develop DIY, then ditch doing anything at all. It takes time or money, or both to make the cosmetic changes that you want. And being that the changes are only cosmetic, and your funds are limited, save your money for the inevitable maintenance and repair that your home will need. Too many people forget that you need an annual budget for that first, before any improvements happen.

• AudreyW10
    10 years ago

This does sound like a lot of work but it can all be done within reason. Depending on your DIY abilities, you can do the painting yourself and save thousands. The roof element and window will cost upwards of 20k. It may be above your budget you had in mind, but keep in mind the value you could potentially be adding when you are ready to resell. Curb appeal goes a long way. Consult with a roofing professional. In most cases they will give you all of the recommendations you need and even point you to some good resources, just don't let them talk you in to spending more than you need to.

Here is a link that might be useful: All American Exteriors