Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gut and new roof - type of contractor?

Posted by seekingsun (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 23:08

We are buying a new property which includes a main house (in good condition) and an additional smaller house which is in bad disrepair. The roof has been leaking, ceiling is falling in and animals have made themselves at home...We want to gut the inside (including asbestos tile) and then most likely an entirely new roof (trusses, deck, etc) needs to be installed. We want to do this up front to get it weather tight and then will work on finishing the interior ourselves. Looking online I don't know who to contact to do this. A demolition company and a new home builder (for the roof)? All the remodeling contractors don't seem to do roof work like this. I was searching on Angie's List but couldn't seem to find the category I need. Any advice would be helpful! TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gut and new roof - type of contractor?

A good local General Contractor with good references should be all that you need. You may need an architect or an engineer of your going to remove and reframe the roof but a good GC will let you know for certain.

o
RE: Gut and new roof - type of contractor?

You'll need an architect and a general contractor, in that order. You will have to have concrete drawn plans for the permits, and you'll need someone who can manage various trades and schedule them in the correct sequence. You also probably will not get this done before moving in. There's the old adage, Fast. Good. Cheap. Pick two. All three are impossible.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here