Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Room Layout Help Needed!!! Bathroom Addition

Posted by bea8480 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 12 at 23:02

Hi, we want to add a bathroom to the first floor of our house. The only place that we can put it is in the formal living room because there are pipes that are already going to through an existing closet. As a result we will lose the closet. I would like to add a closet somewhere in this room because it is the first room when you walk into the house. I am struggling with the layout of the room because of the windows and fireplace. My first thought was to extend the wall from the bathroom towards the front of the house and build a closet next to the bathroom, but then I would be taking a lot of space away from the room and I think it would look odd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The box on the bottom left of the picture is the proposed bathroom. It would be tiny 39 inches by 41.5 inches. The grass looking thing in the middle of the wall is a fireplace. The entry way above the proposed bathroom is into the family room and the entry way on the bottom left is to the front door and staircase going upstairs. Right now the room is 11'7" by 19'4".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Room Layout Help Needed!!! Bathroom Addition

It won't meet code and would detract greatly in value to your home to have a bathroom in your living room. Scrap that idea now and start looking elsewhere if you need to add another bath. If the home has other space issues, perhaps a small addition would be the best use of your money here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here