Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1' 1/2 clearance between pocket door and finished floor

Posted by milele (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 22:36

Hello Forum, our French pocket door was installed as per Johnson HD manual and we were left with 1" 1/2 clearance under the door and finished floor. (The manual call for a clearance of 3/4" to 1"1/2). 1" 1/2 is a huge gap and we have Hardwood floor (not carpet to reduce the gap). Is there any way to adjust the top hardware to reduce the clearance? Tx

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1' 1/2 clearance between pocket door and finished floor

Some pocket doors do have an adjustmen at the top. Usually it is simply adjusted by loosening two screws on each hanger and lowering the door. You have to realign the closing edge against the door jamb as part of the adjustment.

o
RE: 1' 1/2 clearance between pocket door and finished floor

Were the doors ("Converging Door Kit" according to Johnson) installed after the floor was in? Then the header should have been lowered 3/4" per instructions. Don't think you're going to make that up by adjusting the hangers. You can try - might have to remove some trim on the clip side to be able to access it. Just turn the bolt on each hanger until the door is the height you want and hangs level. Might be a little trickier with converging doors.

Most likely you'll run into the problem we had where the bolts are too short to adjust that much (out builder put frame 1" off subfloor since they were "cut for carpet" and we have tile, he didn't listen when I told him the finished flooring would be 1" thick). They kept falling out of the rollers since we only had a few threads screwed in. Jhonson doesn't sell long bolts and the heads are special. Brickeye suggested getting threaded coupler and having threaded rod cut to extend the existing bolts. The size is 1/4-20, I had Ace cut 1" long extensions and round off the burrs for me. You'll probably have to add trim to hide the hardware and new gap at the top of the door, just as you would to hide the track on a bifold door.

If the doors are painted it might be easier to add a filler piece of 1x material on the bottoms, sand flush to the faces, and repaint the doors. My doors are stain grade. HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here