Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do with brick living room wall?

Posted by arkansaswifey (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 22:32

I am compiling ideas for our home remodel and I have a dilemma. In our living room/dining room combo (L-shaped), we have a wall that consists of a sliding patio door and the rest of the wall is brick with a fireplace (no mantle) and a regular-sized window. There is a 15" brick ledge that runs the entire length of the wall starting at the patio door.

Does anyone have any ideas of what we can do to this wall? We love our wood-burning fireplace, but the wall is just too plain.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do with brick living room wall?

Can you post a picture? Something might jump out as a solution after seeing it. What would you like the look to be? Is it a casual looking room or more formal?

o

I have seen at least two episodes of Weekend Warriors on HGTV where the homeowners have drywalled over the brick wall. One just re-aired yesterday. In both cases the couples went from a full wall of brick to just a mantle and surround with the remaining wall being drywalled and painted. Drywall is a very inexpensive alternative if you're tired of the brick look.

Also you can just paint the brick if you choose to go that route.

o

What about priming it and then painting it in a beige or white? I have a brick fireplace and I'm going to faux the bricks in light and dark beige. Gives it a rich look. Then paint the grout with a color about 2-3 times darker than the faux. Very inexpensive and beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here