Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add exterior door from dining room? Seeking opinions

Posted by mrsgomez (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 22:25

We will be making some extensive repairs to our 100 year old Victorian house that involve opening up the rear exterior wall in the dining room.

Our structural engineer and GC say that this is a good opportunity to incorporate other improvements, such as replacing the window with a door and perhaps adding a porch, deck, or patio. We agree that it would be nice to make some sort of change here, as it would make the side yard more accessible

I would appreciate some advice or opinions on the matter. Based on the layout attached, would it be advisable to add an exterior door (single or double) from the dining room? Kitchens are a more traditional place for patio doors, but that's not an option given the current layout.

What we'd really love is to add a screen porch, but I'm afraid that's not an option given our limited space (per setback rules, shown in gray in the image), plus the fact that there is only one window in the kitchen which would likely get enclosed if a porch were added.

So, I'd love to hear some ideas about what we could do to make the most of this situation. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add exterior door from dining room? Seeking opinions

I think a double french door or 2 panel slider would work perfectly there.

o

Thanks! I was concerned it would be a traffic flow issue with a dining room table in the middle of the room.

Now I just have to figure out what the doors will lead out to since the dining room sits about 4 feet above grade. Architect comes tomorrow so I'm hoping to have a plan by then!

o

Fit people will walk around a table and chairs to go to an inviting space outside. I say fit because depending on the space, fat might not fit!

o

Thanks! I was concerned it would be a traffic flow issue with a dining room table in the middle of the room.

Now I just have to figure out what the doors will lead out to since the dining room sits about 4 feet above grade. Architect comes tomorrow so I'm hoping to have a plan by then!

o

With French doors it'll be lovely even if it's tight. Just plan for door swing! We had a dining room with a pair of doors to a room that had started life as a porch and chairs had to be tucked in well to operate the doors. Totally worth it though.

You get stuff like this in old homes. It's part of their charm when done right.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here