Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siasconset

Add exterior door from dining room? Seeking opinions

siasconset
10 years ago

We will be making some extensive repairs to our 100 year old Victorian house that involve opening up the rear exterior wall in the dining room.

Our structural engineer and GC say that this is a good opportunity to incorporate other improvements, such as replacing the window with a door and perhaps adding a porch, deck, or patio. We agree that it would be nice to make some sort of change here, as it would make the side yard more accessible

I would appreciate some advice or opinions on the matter. Based on the layout attached, would it be advisable to add an exterior door (single or double) from the dining room? Kitchens are a more traditional place for patio doors, but that's not an option given the current layout.

What we'd really love is to add a screen porch, but I'm afraid that's not an option given our limited space (per setback rules, shown in gray in the image), plus the fact that there is only one window in the kitchen which would likely get enclosed if a porch were added.

So, I'd love to hear some ideas about what we could do to make the most of this situation. Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner