Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunnybunny10

Granite thickness

hunnybunny10
15 years ago

My contractor told me he was going to lay granite on our kitchen cabinets that is cut thinner (not sure how thin, need to talk to him) and then put a thicker-pieced edging around the outer sides. Anyone have any bad experiences with that?

A friend told me her granite countertops were 1 1/2 inches thick in the kitchen and 3/4 inch thick in the bathroom. When she heard what my contractor planned, she said we have to be careful cuz if it's too thin, it could crack. If true, not a good thing!

Comments (6)

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Granite is usually sold in either 2 or 3cm thickness.
    The 2cm will have an additional piece laminated under the edge of the granite in order to hide the edges of the backer board or plywood that is on top of the counter. The plywood/backer-board gives the 'thinner' piece of granite more support.

All my granite is the 2 cm with the laminated edge to give it the look of a thicker piece of granite and also hide the edge of the countertop. I see nothing wrong with what your contractor is doing. Ask him if it's 2cm.

One usually chooses granite by color......and once you select the color you work with whatever thickness it is.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

2 cm need plywood backer on top of the cabinets, 3 cm is fine by itself.

In many cases only one of the thicknesses is available in an area.

Shipping for the 3 cm is that much higher.

• ventupete
    15 years ago

For some reason the granite slabs in the West are usually 2cm (3/4") and in the East 3cm (1 1/4"). The edging on 3/4" inch slabs are usually built up to either 1 1/2" or 2 1/4". On the 1 1/4" inch slabs they leave it as is or build them up to 2 1/2". the above poster is correct that the 3/4" granite needs to be put on plywood or other backer whereas the thicker slabs don't require it. Be assured that the 3/4" granite is very strong and isn't going to crack if installed properly. Also, it is unlikely that your friend has a 1 1/2" thick slab as they are rare. She either has the 3/4 with a built up edge or the 1 1/4 (actually about 1.2").

• lifeinthehighlands1
    15 years ago

I just had a 3 cm quartz countertop installed a couple of weeks ago. It is beautiful! It's called Quartz Reflections from Caesarstone and I love it.

My only regret is that I got the 3 cm thickness. Both 3 cm and 2 cm are available in our area, and I wanted the 2 cm with the laminated (doubled) edge so that the edge would be 4cm--the same size as my old laminate countertop. At least two of my neighbors have the 2 cm slab with the laminated edge (one with quartz and the other with granite) and it looks great.

The 3cm slab costs more than the 2 cm slab, but it costs to double the edge on the 2 cm slab, so the cost ends up being about the same for either countertop.

But I let the countertop company talk me into the 3 cm. They said that I wouldn't notice the 1 cm edge difference, that the doubled edge is more likely to chip, and that the seam on the edge might be visible unless you put it on the mitered corner (where it is even more likely to chip). Also, I would have to wait an extra 4 to 6 weeks to order the 2 cm but they already had the 3 cm in stock.

So, I went with the 3 cm. But I do notice the 1 cm difference on the edge. My countertop is so beautiful-- it deserved a thicker, more elegant edge.

If I had it to do over, I would definitely get the 2 cm thickness and have the edge doubled. Even if it meant the chance that if might chip. It would have been worth the 4-6 week wait, too.

Also, the 2 cm slab weighs a 1/3 less than the 3 cm, if you are at all worried about the weight on your cabinets.

Hope that helps.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Good advice lifeinthehighlands!

I've always preferred the 2cm w/edge and in all the years that I've owned that thickness I've never had it chip.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm