Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

$20 an hour for the truck...are they crazy?

lazypup
11 years ago

$20 an hour for the truck...are they crazy?

Comments (6)

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"$20 an hour for the truck...are they crazy?"

If you are referring to the big box stores, you are paying for all the hours the truck sits in the parking lot not rented.

Or you can find one for a lower daily charge, maybe with a mileage charge, go pick it up, use it, drop it off.

Or pay them $20 an hour.

• hendricus
    11 years ago

Is there concrete mix in the back seat? Those look like treated posts and you would need the concrete to set them. You wouldn't want to waste all that space either. Save on a second trip

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

Cute lazypup - we've all probably been there thinking we can save a few bucks hauling it on our own.

Just a few weeks ago I bought several furniture items. I didn't want to pay the $80 delivery fee or wait the extra weeks for delivery so I took a pickup to haul the items from store to home. Unfortunately the leaning mirror would not fit inside the pickup so I put it in the pickup bed. Even though the mirror was well wrapped with plastic, styrofoam and heavy boxing, it didn't survive the hour ride home. So my $120 sale (leaning) mirror now either needs a new mirror or it needs to be re-purposed. From now on I'll pay for delivery.

• lazypup
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hendricus- you are absolutrely correct...I read the full report that originally went with that photo. In additon to the lumber you can see on top, there were another twenty 80lb bags of concrete mix inside the car so when all was tallied up the guy had over a two ton load on a car that is rated for a maximum load of 550lbs passengers & luggage.

In fact, that load would exceed the legal limit for most pickup trucks.

Fortunately the vehicle in the photo failed before it even got out of the parking lot, but imagine what the outcome may have been if he got that out on the public highway and happened to be cruising about 50mph in heavy traffic when those rear tires fail?

Actually I got something much more important from that photo. On the one hand we can all laugh at that guys stupidity but on the other hand, that is typical of the DIY intellect. How many times has someone posted a question and I have responded with the proper code approved method of dealing with it, only to have a dozen or so ppl come behind me and scoff at my statements, saying you don't have to do all that because your not going to get an inspection? PPL, like it or not, the codes merely define the minimum methods and techniques that you must do to insure safety. Personally, I could care less what you do to your house, but when it falls down or burns up killing your wife and kids you have absolutely no one to blame but yourself.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Exactly, well stated, lazypup!!!!

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

I was getting a tire fixed and a work out of his truck
    roofer was buying may pop tires for his trailer.
    later that week I passed him sitting on the side
    of the road..2 flats on his trailer
    loaded down with shingles removed on his current job.
    had to have been a big job...the trailer was overfilled.

they were trying to jack the trailer up
    with all those shingles still on the trailer.
    needless to say..the trailer was still there
    the next day.

guess they finally unloaded it and jacked it
    up and changed tires...
    what a dolt!