Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warming Drawer Wiring

Posted by dahrich (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 11 at 21:08

Hello:
I want to install an electrical outlet next to a warming drawer. The wiring, Romex, must pass over the top of the drawer.
What does the Code say about this? Can I just run the Romex without any covering or must it be in conduit? My concern is that the drawer gets warm and may affect the Romex somehow.
The temperature inside the drawer may go to 220 deg F. I have no idea what the outside temp would be.

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warming Drawer Wiring

You might want to post this in the electrical wiring forum. NM (aka Romex) must be protected from physical damage but it's a little hard to say if your situation falls under that rule. It's acceptable to use a short length of conduit to protect the Romex.

I'm less sure about temperatures. You might have to measure the ambient temperature around your warming drawer.

o

Hi:
Thanks for your comments.
I will turn the drawer on and see how warm the exterior gets.
I'll also repost
Regards

o

"I will turn the drawer on and see how warm the exterior gets. "

Your measurement is unlikely to satisfy an AHJ.

Call the manufacturer and ask.

The insulation in NM is 90C now.

The manufacturer of the drawer should be able to tell you what the exterior surface temperature is since they had to measure it to get the device approved and determine the clearance to flammable surfaces.

o

Hi: thanks, I will call the manufacture.
Regards

o

Hi: Manufacturer wasn't much help.
After turning the drawer on to max temp for a while I could put my hand on the exterior and it was slightly warm to the touch.
I think I will investigate routing the wire as far away from the drawer as possible.
Regards

o

"Hi: Manufacturer wasn't much help."

Is the drawer returnable at this point?

o

Hi:
No I can't return the drawer and my wife would kill me if I even suggeted it. She loves it. It is our second one.

I have come to the conclusion that I can route the wires in such a way so as to keep them some distance away from the drawer. Also, I think there can't be too much of a heat problem otherwise the drawer power cord would be of very heat resistance material and it isn't. This conclusion assumes that most of the power cord is generally in the same enclosure as the drawer and heat from the drawer does not affect the cord.

Regards,

o

The installation instructions should say where the cord can be located.

o

"I think there can't be too much of a heat problem otherwise the drawer power cord would be of very heat resistance material and it isn't. "

Short of finding a temperature rating marked on the cordage you cannot tell the heat rating from a simple visual examination.

There is plain old zip cord available with ratings over 105C.
It IS slightly thicker, but that would be the only simple clue to its rating without looking it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here