Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fiberglass doors and warping

Posted by Grossfeld1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 21:03

I need to replace a double 32 inch entry door which are steel with 2 fiberglass doors for cosmetic reasons. I am looking at using 2 - 32 inch Jen-Weld doors with a three point lock system. The front of the house gets very hot in the afternoons and I am worried that the doors may warp. They are expensive about 13 k for the two doors and the warranty is only for 5 years. Does anyone have experience with a fiberglass Jen-Weld doors that is in the direct afternoon sun? If so did they warp or withstand the elements. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fiberglass doors and warping

Are you replacing the entire unit frame and all? Is there a porch above it or an overhang? If so what is the distance of the overhang? Are you using a storm door in front of this? Is there glass in the doors? What series doors are these(picture would be good)? What type of porch or deck is in underneath the entryway?

o
RE: Fiberglass doors and warping

You should know that double doors are more likely to cause problems if they do warp, since they lock into each other and not a rigid frame. The 3 point system will help this but not fix it completely.
PAINT THEM a lighter color on the outside to help with the heat situation.
Consider a screen door and not a storm door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here