Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinyl Siding--foam backed or not?? Opinions?

Posted by sarahandbray (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 19:41

Out of four of our quotes for new siding, two have the foam backed insulation built right into the siding and the others would lay the insulation first and then put siding over that.
Opinions on this? Foam backed seems more sturdy and less likely to warp, but I've heard it doesn't make much of a difference in terms of energy saved.
Thanks!!
-Sarah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinyl Siding--foam backed or not?? Opinions?

When I had my roof leak repair, the roofing contractor also suggest to remodel the siding of our house. We went for backed foam which is sturdy and not likely to warp.
Bella

Here is a link that might be useful: roof leak repair

o

from an efficiency pov
put the foam board on the exerior of the walls.
tape all seams.
put regular vinyl on top.

little strips of foam board do little
to stop air movement as foam is not continous.
using foam sheathing on walls before cladding
is by far the better install.

we have a home improvement company locally
that sells 'insulated' vinyl. they overcharge
so much that they offer a 'free' 4 wheeler.
kinda lets you know that they are making a ton
of extra money.

I've heard of folks that bought into the scam
and paid 20K for a 9K job.
its sad.

put the foam where it works.
vinyl siding moves
insulation shouldn't.

best of luck.

o

I researched the foam backed siding extensively. My conclusion was that while it may be sturdier than plain vinyl, its efficacy as an insulator is dubious. Without lapped or taped seams air will infiltrate and compromise the insulation. You also have to be careful about moisture management. Some foam backed vinyl has ridges and channels to drain water, but many do not.

I chose instead to sheath my house with Zipsystem r6 insulated panels which are taped at the seams and have an integrated water and air barrier. On top of that we're installing a 3d polymer rainscreen and fiber cement siding. No housewrap required.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here