Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalerb66

Who can move the gas line to the gas meter?

dalerb66
15 years ago

So, four days into my huge home remodel and we've hit a snag.

The contractor needs to dig and pour concrete footings around the entire perimeter of the house in order to satisfy the structural engineer's plan. The footings will extend about 30" away from the foundation. Unfortunately, the natural gas line that leads to my gas meter runs about 24" away from the foundation along about 25' of the north wall of my house. It's going to have to be moved, so the first step is getting the gas shut off completely.

My contractor spoke to the gas company and it turns out it's an incredibly involved (and expensive) process to get them to respond to an "abandon service" request. It involves getting the right permit, excavating the sidewalk and potentially even the street as there's no shut-off valve from the gas main to my meter. It's all just plumbed in place. (The Field Planner explained to me that it's just too expensive for the gas company to install dependable, safe valves to every property in the city.)

My question is: Can this work be done by a qualified plumber, or must I get the gas company involved? I'd rather cut the line on my property, cap it, get on with the work and then reroute the line when the work is done. But since the gas line will remain "live", I'm not sure if that's wise or even legal.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of situation? What did you do?

I am in the city of Los Angeles, if that's of any import.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I'd continue talking to the folks at the Gas Co. myself. What would happen if one of the workers hit the gas line? What would the company do in an emergency situation? We had a worker hit a line when we were working on a home in the East Bay area and it was a scary situation, but PGE responded quickly and turned it off via a line in the street.

One would think they could kill the feed long enough to install a valve somewhere along the line without tearing up everything. Then, when the construction is finished they'd use as much as possible of the existing line and add new where needed.
    Sometimes you have to call the gas company several times to find someone willing to work out the problem!

As sierra said, the line up to the meter can only be worked on by the gas company.

• suero
    15 years ago

We had to relocate the outside meter to a new location. It was approximately five feet away from the old location, and actually nearer to the gas line than was the old location. Our plumber had to extend the gas line inside the house to the new location and the company that our gas utility outsources the work to was the only company authorized to do the work on the outside. It was very expensive, including a Federal tax charge of $228, which compensates the gas company for the increased capital investment. Yeah, I know, it's absurd, but that's the way the law is written.

• ventupete
    15 years ago

Agree with the above posts -only the Gas company can move the line up to the meter. But here's a thought. What if your contractor excavated around the existing gas line and then built and poured the footing around it thereby encasing it in concrete. This may or may not be permissible(?) but as a practical matter, who would ever know - unless it would be readily apparent to a meter reader.

• brickeyee
    15 years ago

The gas company normally controls the line to the meter, and they get to charge for owner driven modifications to the service line.

• Erin O'Doherty
    3 years ago

I just received a price from PGE for moving my meter 8ft closet toy the street. A plumber

could do this for $1000. Pge controls the right to this and is charging 10-12k

• Erin Reuther
    2 years ago

What was your final cost to move it? I’ve heard 4x that?!?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

I'll bet for another grand your plumber would do it anyway.

• Reema Sreeram
    last year

What was the timeline for PGE to move the gas meter? We have a similar issue and they are saying 6 months!!!

• yani808
    last year

We just did the PG&E online application to move the existing gas meter 3 feet. A representative called us but could not give a ballpark. We must commit to a $2,000 non-refundable engineering advance and then they can give us an estimate (also they want gas loads and site maps). Has anyone had to move the gas meter within the last year or two? If so, what were the ballpark costs that PG&E charged?

• Jessica Shupe
    last year

Reema did your project end up taking six months?