Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheyenne51

Push button for garbage disposal-good idea?

cheyenne51
13 years ago

Was in the plumber's showroom today and my hubby saw a push-button air-pump device of some sort to use instead of a wall switch for a garbage disposal. Has anyone had any experience with one of these? We are just in the beginning phases of a complete remodel and could consider this if it's a good idea...Thanks for your input!

Comments (22)

• macv
    13 years ago

The best approach is to avoid all manual switches and use the kind where the disposer drain cover trips a magnetic switch.

• User
    13 years ago

That is called an air switch. It is used in many configurations in industry and is quite safe.

In the house we just bought, there is a double switch on the kitchen wall and a duplex receptacle under the sink.

One switch controls the over the sink light. The other controls the duplex receptacle. There is only one feed to the receptacle and it feeds both sides.

That meant to plug in a dishwasher, I could not use a disposer.

The answer was to install the disposer on an air switch. There is no electrical connection from the adapter to the air switch control. The only connection is a rubber air line, which is electrically insulating.

I simply leave the switch in the on position(for the dishwasher) and operate the air switch control for the disposer.

Much safer than the electrical switch as the air switch control cannot be accidentally engaged.

Actually, the air switch I bought cost more than the disposer. But it is worth it, safer and less expensive than rewiring.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

The best approach is to avoid all manual switches and use the kind where the disposer drain cover trips a magnetic switch."

This turns the GD into a 'batch feed' model.

A continues feed type is far easier to use, and the danger is greatly over rated.

The grinding occurs between the slingers (movable pushers that force the food against the outside wall by centripetal force) and the side walls.

There are not actual 'blades' in a home GD that cut (it is NOT like a blender).

It is a real chore to reach into one to remove metal that becomes stuck in the grinding gap.

The rotating parts are around 6 inches (or more) from the top of the unit.

Air switches are a decent alternative to folks who do not want a switch in the back splash above the counter.

What I still find at least slightly amusing is the presence of an over the sink light switch in the same back splash.

• bill_g_web
    13 years ago

I'd get the air switch too. Located in the countertop at the sink's edge, I don't have to reach far to operate it and since my hands are often wet when I need to turn on the GD, there's no worry of shock.

• weedyacres
    13 years ago

We love our air switch. :-)

• macv
    13 years ago

The magnetic stopper switch prevents someone from turning on the disposer when you are retreiving something out of it. Running a disposer without a cover can allow a utensil to drop into it accidentally and be damaged.

Some recommend placing a wall switch out of reach so that a child couldn't turn it on while reaching into the disposer but that makes it more likely for for someone to think the switch is for something else and turn it on while someone's hand is in the disposer. I'm not going to put my hand into a disposer that has a switch whether it is electric or air operated regardless of how the blades are designed.

I agree that ganging a disposer switch with a light switch is not a good idea.

• macv
    13 years ago

This subject has come up at the GardenWeb before. In the thread linked below more people liked the batch feed type and so have my clients. I had never heard of putting a switch under the sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: batch vs continuous feed

• homebound
    13 years ago

Hard to believe, but the previous owner of our house installed a button on the front of the base cabinet. Aside from keeping a toddler away once upon a time, it's very convenient. (But don't install it that location, of course.)

• 2ajsmama
    13 years ago

I commented on my house plans that they couldn't stick the GD switch in b/t 2 light switches in a 4-gang box, suggested moving it to the end position so at least I wouldn't hit it trying to turn 2 lights on at once. They moved it to other side of window, along with a receptacle, in a 2-gang box right behind my dish drainer! When we replace the countertops and tile the b/s, I'm going to remove that box and put in a batch feed GD or an air switch, on the sink rim, where I can reach it and don't have to worry about wet hands.

We had an airswitch that came with whirlpool tub in old house, that was great, I didn't know til a couple of years ago that they sold them separately.

• arizona_jan
    13 years ago

I never liked the idea of wet hands and an electric wall switch for the disposal. When we put in granite, I insisted on an air switch--love it!!

• arizona_jan
    13 years ago

I never liked the idea of wet hands and an electric wall switch for the disposal. When we put in granite, I insisted on an air switch--love it!!

• kompy
    11 years ago

Are all brands the same? Insinkerator? Brasstech? I'm ready to go buy one now!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I never liked the idea of wet hands and an electric wall switch for the disposal."

Switches are made of plastic for a reason.

• Felix Twintails
    8 years ago

I am getting my kitchen remodeled and this is the kind of switch that is going to be installed. I like that fact that it is insulated and purely a pressure switch. I had a very bad experience with one of those magnetic touch switches on my toilet. The toilet started flushing all by itself!

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    8 years ago

We install these on every kitchen, usually on the face of the sink cabinet.

• Robin Florentine
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Is there a best brand for the air switch? Most of the buttons themselves are plastic. Would it be better to get a brass button?

• sjhockeyfan325
    7 years ago

I don't know what mine have been made of but we've never had one fail. Currently have an Insinkerator brand switch.

• sushipup1
    7 years ago

Some of the switch packages have several different button covers. It really won't matter, except how it looks.

• HU-365687
    7 years ago

I may be the only one it seems to prefer a toggle over air switch. I have marble counters and the air switch would have needed to be cut into the marble (more possibility of stain on marble - faucets are mounted to the sink deck). Also, I have found the switches are never large and easy enough to press that it keeps breaking my nails haha...I currently have a toggle inside the under-sink cabinet, which is push to open. Ideally, a foot-press or foot toggle would exist.

• PRO
    Cabot & Rowe
    7 years ago

We have mounted the air buttons to the front of cabinets many times

• Chip Bennett
    6 years ago

I like them a lot. There is a new switch on the market now that I'm considering for a new kitchen remodel and it is a foot switch that attaches to the toe kick. Some advantages are that it keeps the counter-top free of one whole and it won't get wet, it frees up both hands, and turns off when you remove your foot from the switch.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County