Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

Is one coat standard over blueboard? Eastern MA

la_koala
12 years ago

Hi,

Where there are still pros doing blueboard & plaster work, is the standard to do one coat of the veneer plaster over the blueboard?

Or two coats?

I'm trying to judge a professional estimate, thanks!

Comments (12)

• User
    12 years ago

First, it is drywall compound, not plaster.

Second, blueboard is used when adding a finished wall treatment, so one coat of compound and tape are usually sufficient. The tape and compount are applied to cover the seams for the required fire resistance. That also aids in air movement blockage.

Second and third coats of compound are generally applied when paint is the final finish and the seams need to be minimized.

• la_koala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi handymac, thanks for the info, and the terminology. I used the term "plaster" because that's the term the contractor used in the line item ("Plastering").

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "finished wall treatment", as compared to when you say "when paint is the final finish". Do you mean one coat is typical when there's a finish treatment *other* than painting? My intention is for these walls to be painted (typical 2-coat latex eggshell paint). So should I ought to be asking for two coats?

That's the part I'm not sure of: how many coats is standard and so I ought to ask for them as part of a quality job. The contractor is saying that everyone does one coat for this sort of job.

Thanks!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"First, it is drywall compound, not plaster."

No. it is veneer plaster system and should be plaster for the top coat.

It is NOT the same as drywall with a skim coat.

If the worker is good enough only a single coat (about 1/8 inch thick) is required.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

What I saw in the mid eighties on Cape cod was they spotted the screws and filled the seams and immediately veneered over with a skim coat, all in one application. As Brick states, it's a veneer plaster and a reputable finisher can make it look like glass and turn out a nice level finish even on a bad blueboard hang job.

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

Yup, we still do it in New England. Blueboard and a single coat veneer of plaster. Nothing wrong with it.

Handymac, "blueboard" is a gypsum board that has a formulated paper facing designed to be skimcoated with plaster. And it is indeed plaster, not drywall compound. And it is an excellent finish.

As wonky and as sad as it sounds, there are two trades I can sit back and watch work: skilled plasterers and skilled masons.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

By far, imo, a nicer finish for smooth compared to a level five drywall application which is a final skim coat over four mudcoats. Im amazed that it never really went out futher than the east coast region as again, I feel it's a supereior finish compared to wallboard level 5's.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Im amazed that it never really went out futher than the east coast region"

It requires very skilled labor, since unlike regular drywall methods it cannot be sanded to fix defects.

• User
    12 years ago

I learned something today, thanks to all!

I've seen one coat stucco---not really optimum finish. Never heard of one coat plaster.

And blue board(or green board) here is moisture resistant sheet rock designed for use in bath/kitchen areas.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

If you want a harder finish they also do a two-coat veneer (blue bag and red bag) at least here in VA. We did in in some parts of an old house, and it was really amazing finish. Actually was able to match the look of the old horsehair plaster walls easily with the two-coat.
    Also, sand finishes and floated finishes are possible, as well as colored plaster finishes, so there are additional reasons to entertain this more crafty and expensive option.
    Casey

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It's really a dark slate blue/gray. Not at all close in color to the M/R board.

This is green M/R board. I understand there is also a brighter blue variety.

Casey

• la_koala
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey, thanks everyone! Thanks for confirming that one coat for this is pretty normal (except for the fancier things like the floated finish that Casey mentioned. :-)

Casey, thanks for the pics--it does look a grayish blue.

a reputable finisher can make it look like glass and turn out a nice level finish even on a bad blueboard hang job.

Oh, I do like the sound of that! :-)

It must be difficult for someone to apprentice to get good at doing it--and spread the availability beyond Massachusetts. From what you've all said about the quality of the finish, it seems like more people would want it if the professionals were available in their area.

• bostonplastering
    12 years ago

no need for two hands of plaster over the BlueBoard and you can not compare the quality of work with regular drywall.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boston Blueboard and Plastering