Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with this old ceiling?

Posted by mudworm (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 16:18

We are remodeling our kitchen and have come to a decision point about the kitchen ceiling. Half of it is from the 1994 addition done by the previous owner. It is smooth. We don't plan on changing/removing it. The other half has textured ceiling, which we don't like. This part has a low attic above it. Upon close inspection, there are two layers of drywall boards already. The one at the top seems to have gone through some water damage. And under the crumbled insulation (which I removed yesterday), I think it has molded -- is that the mold I see?

The drywall board below (which has the textured plastering) appears to be in good shape, but there is sagging at spots that's visible in the kitchen.

What should we do with this part of the ceiling? The options I can think of include:
1) apply a third layer of drywall board (throughout the kitchen). But that means the nails/screws need to go through two layers of old boards to reach the joists.
2) Install beadboard ceiling over existing ceiling. I'm evaluating this option because I've seen beadboard wallpaper and planks online and they seem a bit easy for DIY'ers to install. DH is against wallpaper idea. Are beadboard planks a cheaper option over all than drywall ceiling (material, labor, time)?
3) remove both layers of the drywall boards in his part only, and install new drywall board (5/8" thick). But that probably requires shimming the ceiling joists since the new drywall ceiling needs to be flush with the other half. Or, should we strap the ceiling and the problem will be automatically addressed? The spacing between the ceiling joist is very inconsistent. There is one span that is greater than 2'.

What would you recommend?

Lastly, an OT question: Yesterday, I was working in the low attic -- terminating part of an old circuit, stuffing the old crumbing insulation into trash bags, and vacuuming the thick layer of roofing dust. I was wearing a respirator. I knew it did not fit me well, but did not bother fussing with it. When I came out, it turned out that the part on my face that was the dirtiest was in that triangle inside the respirator -- I breathed the dust for at least a couple of hours. Looking at the picture of that mold, I am a little worried. Is my exposure to the fiber glass (from the old insulation) and mold anything of concern?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with this old ceiling?

Your first step is addressing what is causing the mold and get that taken care of. Concerning the ceiling, I'd go with #3 using strapping.

o

Thanks! From the stain, it looks like it was caused by an old leakage. But they had re-roofed the house and the attic ceiling above looks fine. I think we'll just clean it up carefully and take down the drywall boards. I'm now leaning towards using beadboard planks for ceiling in the entire kitchen. So we may just take down the drywall boards in the good half too.

o

You might want to get a decent repirator with cannisters that are geared for fine particulates. I would use something better than a paper disposable mask. Something like these:

Here is a link that might be useful: respirators

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here