Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

To Caulk or Not to Caulk -- Baseboard Registers

Pines Everywhere
10 years ago

Hey Remodelers --

I am still working on my multi-material room with the Cedar Shake Wall, Paneling, Beams, blah blah blah.

My question is ... should I caulk any gaps between a Baseboard Heat register and the wall? If so, what kind of caulk do I use ...?

In some areas the gaps are like a half and inch and I can actually get a brush stroke in there -- other places like shown in the picture, the gap is slight and uneven. Thanks for any advice!

Comments (6)

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Christophern! This particular wall looks great and the Baseboards have been primed and coated twice but I am not liking this gap -- I'm gonna caulk it and touch it up.

Stay tuned! I'll be done by 2014. :)

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry all -- resurrecting this thread. Question for Christophern or any that may know ....

Most of the homes where I live used to be cottages. Underneath this baseboard register, you can see my raw wall which is unpainted, unstained cedar shake running right into the Cement Slab (I think it may have been an exterior wall at one time). Anyway, I've vacuumed it and steamed it clean ...

Would it be okay to spray some Rustoluem paint on this area? It would be the 2" space between the slab and where the register is. Thanks in advance. I just don't want to mess-up the Baseboard heating/vents in any way.

• nigelsgarden
    10 years ago

The link below shows what can be done to dress up a baseboard heater.
    I don't know a lot about this type heater but I wonder why the author didn't add a 1/4 round piece of trim along the floor, behind the heater.

Not sure about spray painting around the fins/vents so I'd probably use a brush instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: Update

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nigelsgarden -- Thanks so much for the link -- those look just like my units!! LOL.

This is the second room I've done and I am getting bolder about disassembling what I can and painting those separately (especially the end caps, the facing pieces and the connectors). I am not bold enough to take the master wall housing off. Plus, they have been painted pretty much in-place before and are very, very sharp to handle. And now -- I've caulked some in place. (Oh well).

Mine don't look as 'new' as the ones in the article but pretty darn close. My use of the long-end vacuum attachments and my steamer have been great. Plus, I've painstaking brushed everything viewable.

I have a few more to go in this large room I am doing so I may just disassemble the next two units and see how it goes.

Thanks so much! I may just spray the undercarriage lightly for good measure if I can't get that master housing off. Thx again!

• Joe Scaturro
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would caulk the tops if they are not removable covers and are fixed to the wall. I just remodeled a bathroom and discovered a significant amount of rust between the wall and the back side of the baseboard where a towel rack was mounted above. I removed the baseboard back from the wall, sanded, primed and painted it with a oil based paint and reinstalled it. I then installed an aluminum replacement cover and discarded the original front cover and louver. I won't be caulking the top of the cover because it will have to be removed to get access to the fins for cleaning, as the new cover snaps over the top of the original baseboard back.Aluminum Baseboard Replacement