Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

crazy pool idea...or genuis!

andrelaplume2
12 years ago

Ok, here is where I likely loose any respect I have garndered on these boards...this was suggested to me so here goes....

you all know those small pools whose sides rise as they fille with water - INTEX Pools. I had one years ago and it actually was not bad for the smaller kids. Well the have grown, we have moved and I do NOT want a real pool. They asked for another blowup (like the one from years ago)just to cool off in.

Here is my crazy idea. They have these 10' by 30" high models. We have a 3 season sunroom...12' by 20'...you see where I am heading. The sunroom is on concrete. Could I put this sucker in there for a few months...just run the filter. I'd leave the screens open on all 3 sides. The area is level...I could easily empty it into the yard via a hose. Is there a downside? Could the concreate pad support the weight? Worst thing I can think of is if it rips and the sun room floods...the carpet (over the concrete) is in bad shape already......likely would just cheuck it....

Ok ...let me have it!

Comments (11)

• lazypup
    12 years ago

The pool you are proposing would hold nearly 1500gal of water. If it were to suffer a catastrophic failure no doubt a large percentage of that water would pass through the door from your screen room into the main living area of your house which could result in untold hundreds of dollars in damage, and I doubt if your insurance would cover it

I certainly would not want that at my house

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

I joined the ranks of the trend setters back in the day when water beds were happening. Mine didn't just leak, it was a tsunami and flooded a large portion of the small cabin I was in at the time. Tough call, life's a gamble sometimes. The advantages are similar to indoor pools, they stay cleaner!

• worthy
    12 years ago

The liner is designed to rest on soil, not concrete. That may affect wear.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good point on the liner...the pool indeed holds 990 gallons. The sunromm sits 1 foot down from the main house...maybe a jacuzzi is a better idea...

• drywall_diy_guy
    12 years ago

You may want to put some sort of pad down under the pool (you can buy such pads). You say your sun-room is 1 ft lower so that would eliminate a danger of flooding the rest of the house. There will be a fair amount of splashing of the chlorinated water - how will this affect the walls of your sun room? From what I read your walls will only be a foot away. Maybe a smaller diameter model would be a better idea, just for cooling off.

• sis3
    12 years ago

I wonder about the amount of humidity it could create inside your home and the corrosive effects of the chlorine.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Its not really in the home. Its in a 3 season sunroom. You enter the sunroom via a door that is closed at all times. I had not thought about the chlorine issue...might need less chlorine if inside...? My biggest issue right now is that the pool might not fit...we have a 5 foot wide or so concrete step down into the sunroom...that step might interfere with the footprint of the pool.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

It may overload the slab or the footers.

Water is heavy.

• lazypup
    12 years ago

if filled to the top it would hold the 1550gal I mentioned before, but then one would not fill it clear to the top or it would spill water as ppl entered, which accounts for your figure of 990gal.

But even at 990 gal that is still slightly over 7000lbs (3-1/2 tons) so i have to agree with brickeye, that may certainly exceed the rated floor load capacity.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

yea...I bagged the idea!

• davidro1
    12 years ago

"The sunroom is on concrete"
    1/ I take this to mean it is a slab on grade. That means it can hold the weight.
    2/ A foot below the rest of the house... what does that mean, in terms of the slab?