Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txaggiemom_gw

Custom Cabinets

TxAggiemom
12 years ago

Trying to ascertain whether my custom cabinets should be "hardware ready" while constructing the cabinets? Is there a separate price for drilling the holes for the hardware or should that be included in the price? My remodel guy is saying he needs to charge me extra so I just wanted to be informed before making my point.

Comments (7)

• User
    12 years ago

Custom cabinets can be done hardware---meaning handles, since the hinges are part of the build----- ready if that requirement is included in the order---but, the hardware measurements have to be included. And, the shop building the cabinets has to agree to do that.

Which many would not, as the initial choice may change, meaning the holes may be incorrect and the doors drilled wrong.

Usual procedure is to install the units, then drill and install handles.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

One of the definitions of "custom" is that you have choices. You can "place" the hardware where you want them suited for you and yours.

• chrisk327
    12 years ago

its probably not a set thing with everyone doing one thing or another. I think its reasonable that the person installing the cabinets installs the hardware.

my custom cabinet guy installs hardware, but won't provide it as part of his package. ie: you buy any handles you want, I don't want any part with purchasing them or putting them in the bid.

he says he's installed $1 pulls and $100 pulls, its too variable to deal with, but he'll install anything as part of his install.

Some contractors are reasonable and put normal things in their bid and do what is expected. others try and get a buck out of you at every turn... did he think he was installing the kitchen and you were not putting any pulls/knobs on the doors?

• TxAggiemom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your input. I'm getting the idea that the "custom cabinets" that are being built should include the "drilled hardware holes" for cabinet/drawer installation. I haven't picked out our hardware yet, but feel that the Cabinet Maker should be required to drill the holes for me to install my hardware after the purchase is made. Our GC (supervisor) is indicating that it is a separate cost/expense for us to have the holes drilled in the cabinets/drawers. He accidentally left this expense off of his original bid and we just assumed that the custom cabinet price would include this. You don't have a custom door built w/out the opening for a doorknob, right? Seems like he didn't bid this project correctly and now he is trying to nickle & dime us to death w/ adding the "oh, I forgot"...we want to be fair to him, but if these holes are normally included I'm not going to pay extra. Thanks.

• Fori
    12 years ago

My custom cabinet guy did holes for around $60/hr. He was fair and upfront about things (and the only guy from my kitchen remodel I'd actually recommend to anyone).

The details should be in your contract. It does seem silly, now that you mention it, but I don't think it is unusual. Gig em!

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

Contractors approach these situations differently.
    Some include drilling for and installing cabinet hew. and some include the hdw., and in doing so, limit the choices.

So you, not having yet to select your hdw., expect the contractor or subcontractor, too have read your mind and discerned your eventual selection and estimated, by guessing, the style of your eventual selection.

So who's responsibility was it to read the contract documents and accept their completeness, by their signature?

So lets assume that, as you believe, the contractor should have guessed what your hdw. selection would be and estimated a line item for $5 per opening, only to find that your eventual selection would actually cost him $18 in labor.
    Should he take the loss, because you were reticent in making a decision?
    And were the reverse the case, would you expect a refund?
    And if the doors were thicker than length of the screws provided would reach?
    And were they metric?

Suck it up, pay the man.

• Alva Reid
    10 years ago

What is the average cost of kitchen cabinet installation. I know installation depends on kitchen size and other factors. I'm just looking for ballparks. Thanks.