Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Budget for a Remodel

Posted by numbersjunkie (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 15:16

I'm just starting to look at making some changes in our vacation home - primarily the kitchen. The house was built 25-30 years ago by a retired couple and we haven't touched the main living areas excpet to lay new carpet. Now that we are getting close to retirment and are thinking of moving there full time, something needs to be done!

Anyway, I am trying to put together a budget for the remodel. It will likely invlove moving an entry door in a house with a brick exterior, removing interior walls and likely adding a support beam, adding new hardwood flooring in the living/dining/kitchen areas, and totally reconfiguring the kitchen layout. I'm pretty sure I know the basics that need to be in the budget, and I understand that there are likely to be unforeseen surprises, but I am hoping those of you with more remodeling experience can tell me what types of things you forgot to account for that you could've/should've anticipated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Budget for a Remodel

Door knobs. I wanted black ones and that is not a popular color right now. I wound up buying really beautiful ones from Emtek but they are not cheap. And they add up. Entrance door lock sets are even worse!

Also, windows can be pricey if you want a certain look (I did). But the difference between okay and awesome wasn't a huge amount, like $1500 in all (9 windows in our remodel).

Lastly - window treatments weren't cheap.

o

If haven't started your remodel, maybe my situation will give you an idea. I'm currently having an older brick home remodeled. We are not moving exterior doors, but we are adding a set of french doors. We've also gutted the 1960s kitchen, removed & moved walls, and added hardwood. We have additional tasks that you have not mentioned including painting ($1700), new drywall in a sunroom ($500), new electric ($12k) and new plumbing ($4k), and adding a deck ($5k). Our estimate was $39k without appliances. We've run into additional plumbing issues, now bringing it up another $5k.

o

Lighting fixtures -- and more of them! Also, rewiring if necessary, plus are you adding a laundry?

If it's now a vacation home, do you need to upgrade the heating or add air conditioning?

o

Will your jurisdiction require any updates for building code requirements, energy code, soil and water runoff/retention, septic, etc., which may have changed from the time your house was built to the present?

If your jurisdiction (and the scope of your remodel) requires a building permit and/or an occupancy permit, be sure to check with the building department to find out what you may (or may not) be required to do because you are remodeling your house.

Better to know before hand than afterwards. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here