Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faux stone veneer

Posted by Flatwatr (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 15:14

I'd like to remove a wall of faux stone veneer surrounding the fireplace in my living room. The fireplace is masonry construct, flush with the inside wall. I expect to find stud wall and expanded metal left and right of the fireplace and chimney but I'm don' know what to expect between the chimney and the stone. The house went up 40 plus years ago for a "Show of homes" during which short cuts may have been taken.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faux stone veneer

You really won't know until you tear into it. What you find will depend on the type of fireplace and the venting they used.

o
RE: Faux stone veneer

I'm reasonable certain it's masonry. An insert was added in time and a flu liner. The inside wall for some twelve feet is faux stone veneer. As stated earlier, I would expect to find sme metal lath behind the veneer to the left and right of the fireplace. The outside width is a third of that inside. Block with Faux veneer. I wonder what chance there may e that the inside veneer is attached to metal lath even across the fireplace?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here