Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving built in china cabinets

Posted by bungalowdreamer (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 15:09

Hi! New to the forum, and can't find a thread for my question, sooooo, here goes. I want to buy a bungalow that has built ins in the living and dining rooms. They aren't in great shape (painted, broken glass...) and the house isn't architecturally or culturally significant--it's just what I can afford. The dining room's built-ins are on the wall that goes into the backyard. There isn't another entry into the back yard, and I am considering moving the built ins (if that's even possible) so that I can put French doors so I can see and enjoy the backyard--another reason I would buy this house. I am in California and want to take advantage of the weather. I wondered if anyone has undertaken a project like this and was it a) possible? b) cost prohibitive c) destroyed the 'aesthetic' of the house.

This house isn't a true craftsman, but a bungalow from the 20s in okay condition. It doesn't have columns or anything. It's more like a cottage. What's the opinion out there? I like vintage and this time period. So, I feel hesitant about trying this. But, this house is in my price range, has a great back yard, and the nice built ins. One set would just be better on another wall. Opinions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving built in china cabinets

We had a 1919 built-in in one of our bungalow's bedrooms. We wanted to move it to the back end of our kitchen/family room addition and convert it to the tv cabinet.

As we removed nail after nail to "free it" from the space, we discovered that it was not a unit that was built and then moved into the cubbyhole. Instead our built-in was a bunch of pieces of wood that were built directly into the walls of the cubbyhole. It was not movable as one unit. We also could not get all the nails out without damaging the wood (maple).

We had already framed the new space so we had to build a new built-in for it. We did match the design, species of wood and finish - we have something that looks like a new built-in - we do like it.

o
RE: moving built in china cabinets

Thanks for your response Jmc01! What happened to the pieces you took out? Were they useable in anyway? How expensive was it to have the new one built? I wondered if I could take the doors, drawers and mirror, at least, from the old one, and build it into the new area. I wonder if it's even worth it to do that. I suspect that this one is like yours--built in, not moved in. That's what it looks like anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here