Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frozensneaker

Extending floor joists

frozensneaker
10 years ago

Hello,

New to the forum. I am in the process of planning a kitchen remodel.

There is a wall that extends out in our eat-in kitchen that I am looking to eliminate.

I have done other structural projects in the past, and have the tools and help to handle the project.

In order to add a header that would make the ceiling flush from front to back, I would be cutting the floor/ceiling joists and pocketing in a 3.5" x 9.5" header in using joist hangers.

The problem is, the joists on the back side of the house are ~6 inches too short.
The joist are 16 on center 2 x 10, and at this spot on the floor dont seem to be carrying a lot of weight. Mostly just upstairs floor. No tubs, walls, etc. The area that would require the extending is approx 3 feet. I think 4 joists.

In order to properly extend these joists to the header, can I scab (2 x 10) approx. 4 feet on both sides of each joist, through bolt and use construction adhesive to reach the hangers? There would be 2 hangers per ceiling / floor joist.

I could pull down all 11.5 feet of the ceiling and set a new joist on top of the wall, but this would add a ton of work with soffits and plumbing, etc.

I was also considering adding in bridging in between the extended joists, out onto the un-cut, longer joists on either side for more strength.

I will take a few pictures of this as soon as I get more drywall removed.

Any help and advice is very appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike