Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Considering Wall Mounted Sliding Door

Posted by Sandpiper111 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 14:21

I want to replace a regular swing door with a pocket door but looking at Johnson Hardware site I also looked at the wall mounted version. Because my wall are lath and plaster I am considering this option as it would be much easier and less costly. I see that extending the jamb on the door I could also install a privacy lock as this door leads into a bathroom off the hallway. Has anyone had any experience with this type of door mount. I don't want it to look cheap. I read good reviews on the Johnson Hardware for pocket doors and hope that the Wall Mount would be just as smooth. I would use the track system with the ball-bearings for a heavier door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Considering Wall Mounted Sliding Door

Hello, there is a kitchen posting with images of a sliding door in a beautiful kitchen installation. There is a picture of the door closed and one with it open. Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash in, thanks for the help! PICS!

o

And here's one between bedroom and bath:

Here is a link that might be useful: master bath/bedroom renovation

o

We put them in our jack & jill bathroom because wall space was at a premium. They're very easy to put in and work fine. We added some wood trim work around the upper hardware to make it look less industrial.

o

I'm a fan of pocket doors, and would love to have wall space for a lovely "barn door" style outside mount in one spot, but in my little house, it's just not possible. Go for it. The Johnson hardware for my pocket doors has performed flawlessly for almost 10 years. Not once have I had it go off the track or have any issues; I'm sure their outside mount is of similar quality.

o

I had the same problem - the wall I wanted to install the Johnson pocket doors contained pipes and vents. No can do. Instead, I first wall mounted them, then built a new 2X4 wall to hide them. At the doors, the drywall mounted to the sides of the pocket door assembly. Yes, the wall is unusually thick and I lose a little of the room, but no one has noticed, I have beautiful French pocket doors and I avoided the barn door look. In my opinion, using the barn door concept just looks like nothing better could be done but to slap it on the wall. But there is nothing wrong with it if that is what you like and it is much less bother than building a new wall, mudding, sanding, painting, trim, etc.

o

Thanks all for tips and pics. I especially liked seeing the sliding door in the remodel of the bathroom. I'm not going for the barn door look but it looks great for them. More of a concern is how to install a privacy lock of some sort with a wall mount. Once again Johnson Hardware for pocket doors has great reviews.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here