Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-Hung Door Dilemma

Posted by lostinit (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 12:43

I am in the process of buying a new door for the entry and we are looking at the big box stores as we want to DIY.

A couple of things one is the type of door we are looking at is steel and fiberglass, I've been told Fiberglass is the way to go. So we are leaning there perhaps more about R-value.

The other thing is when we had the door quoted it added a $500 charge for prefinish (Paint) on the jamb and door slab.

So my question is why so much for prefinish? What do they do that I can't do with a $30 gallon of paint and a couple of hours? We want it in Red so maybe a few coats may be needed but beyond that i am not sure why the extra charge.

Also if we opt to paint what is the proper procedure? Paint the Jamb/trim before or after install? Paint the door on a sawhorse?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-Hung Door Dilemma

Prefinished would be factory painted in a spray booth using generally an autobody type of paint meaning you would get a finish much better than anything you or anyone else could lay on with a brush. That not with standing, in my opinion the last place on earth to buy an entrance door is at a box store. 99.9% of the time what they sell is crap and about the only place I would consider using one of there products is on a shed. At a minimum look at a higher end lumber (a real lumberyard) , a millwork specialty house or a window and door dealer. Provia, HMI, and Homeguard are some of the better brands that come to my mind at the moment. About the lowest quality on the food chain I would consider would be Therma Tru and even the quality of that brand has gone downhill (and TT not from a homecenter or Benchmark sold under the TT brand).

o

You may get some good help in the Windows Forum... yes, doors are frequently discussed there.

o

You can DIY a door purchased from a real lumberyard.

Unless you hide the mounting fasteners(nails---screws are better) under the weather stripping, the resulting holes will need to be filled/smoothed before painting.

Red is just about the most difficult color to get even color---as you wrote, will take multiple coats, minimum of one coat of tinted primer and three of color.

Only advantage of that prefinish I can imagine is if it were automotive paint---that will last longer/look smoother than site applied paints even when site applied is sprayed.

I have two entry doors purchased at HD on my house(self installed)

No problems at all in 6 years.

Now, I am experienced in installing doors(have built jambs for slabs)---in fact installed our front door from the inside since the outside was trimmed under the siding and did not feel like removing siding around the door to get the metal siding trim covering the brickmold apart.

I've refinished very expensive commercial wood doors as well.

I chose steel wrapped doors. Less problems than fiberglas doors.

Have not painted mine. Still just as they left the factory.

I would not buy solid wood doors at a home improvement store. Those are seldom any good long term.

Installing a storm door with a steel clad door removes any drop in insulating properties versus a fiberglas door.

In hot weather areas in the US, south facing fiberglas doors can warp if covered with a storm allowing no escape for superheated air caught between the storm/entry door.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here