Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cubu_gw

Who makes a Quality Fiberglass Entry Door?

cubu
15 years ago

Good morning. I need to replace my entry door/w sidelights,and have begun researching Fiberglass Door Mfg's. My budget is about $2,500 installed. I have researched Therma-Tru (to expensive) and Feather River (Quality Issues). I live in the N.Suburbs of Chicago, and need some other options. Any help on quality Fiberglass Entry Door manufacturers would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I currently have a storm door, but read that is not necessary on quality Fiberglass doors. I have a western sun exposure, but there is a set-back to the front door that does provide some shade. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Comments (18)

• amrad
    15 years ago

I have a therma tru door, which was expensive since it was $1600 which is half of my monthly pay check. But it is a quality door.

• cubu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Amrad. Which particular line of Therma Tru did you purchase?

• rjoh878646
    15 years ago

To get away cheaper, get one without the fancy glass options that run the total up considerably. A plain 6 panel door without the windows is a lot cheaper than the one with the big oval window in the center.

• rileysmom17
    15 years ago

Precision Doors. Made by the Amish. I have fiberglass. Two with full lite and blinds between the panes, two with half lite pebbled glass, one with half lite and blinds, one with half lite fancy glass (that one cost me). I've had them for 2 years now and like them just as much as day one. A very solid feeling door. No problems with the blinds. Super easy to clean too, inside and out (dog mud and dog noses are my issue). Sorry I can't recall the cost off hand.

• cubu
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Does anybody have an opinion on Jeld-Wen Custom Fiberglass doors?

• amrad
    15 years ago

the American Style Collection, CCA231

• laurmela
    15 years ago

I just had my new front door installed, here is a pic

I am painting the outside a merlot color and the inside will stay white. I love it! It is from OrePac. You can look on their website orepac.com

Good luck!

Laura

• Michael
    15 years ago

Didn't they offer a factory finish?

Michael

• laurmela
    15 years ago

This is the finish I wanted so I could paint. It is a nice smooth finish, I could have gotten a wood grain finish but I chose this.

• Michael
    15 years ago

The smooth is nice, but it's very difficult to get it to look professionally finished with a roller or brush. Spray is about the only way to keep it looking the way it does now.

Michael

• lotsahouses
    15 years ago

Andersen Doors and Windows are very high quality - we priced some double doors at about 1500.00, but went with Therma Tru for about 800.00. They both come in factory finish colors, if you want.

• dancingsams
    13 years ago

Rileysmom,

How do I find Precision Doors?

• mowers
    13 years ago

I like solid wood doors. Anything else is just junk in my opinion, even though the fake ones are much more expensive. A wood door looks like wood, feels better, sounds better, and looks better. Yes, they are more difficult to maintain, do not seal as well, etc. But when you look at an old home and see a fake door on it, does not cut it to me. I removed a Therma Tru door several years ago and replaced with a solid wood door and have been very happy. It now has character. The Therma Tru door was too cheesy for me.

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    13 years ago

We just ordered a full lite fiberglass door with blinds between the glass from Bayer Built, a Minnesota company. Very reasonably priced. It hasn't arrived yet but I will update in the next week or so.

• j_412
    13 years ago

feather river fiberglass doors are really beautiful are actually good quality. you can go to their website to get prices, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: door price tool

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    13 years ago

Just wanted to update-we installed our Bayer Built Fiberglass Door this week. I'm pleased. It is full lite with blinds between the glass and grids between the glass as well. So it has that French door look but also has the blinds. It qualifies for the Federal Energy credit too.

• Ellen DiFranco
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I would not reccommend Feather River doors to anyone! Pretty but made poorly with low quality wood that has rotted out and I need a new door frame after four years. The door leaked water when it rained into the inside of house through the glass edges.Customer service had to send out repairmen twice to fix it.Wood is soft and cheap, all rotted. They do not stand behind the warranty on this. Dont throw your money away here like I did!