Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarah428

order of things to be done - kitchen remodeling

sarah428
15 years ago

This may be a basic question but I can't seem to find an answer for us DIYers.

What is the order when remodeling a kitchen? We are doing floors, new cabinets, tile backsplash, countertops, paint, 2 new windows.

I'm most curious on the floor. I was told to do it *after* caninets were installed - no reason to put money towards floors that aren't going to be seen. But yesterday I read somewhere to do cabinet demo, then floor, and then install new cabinets.

Confused!!!

Comments (13)

• User
    15 years ago

Demo the cabinets.

Install the new windows and trim(unless the trim interferes with cabinet installation.).

Paint the walls---painting just past where the new cabinets will be. No need to paint where the backsplash will be.

Determine the height on the new flooring. Build up cabinet area with plywood/OSB/whatever to that height.

Install new cabinets.

Install the backsplash.

Install the floor.

• sarah428
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you!

• plants4
    15 years ago

Sarah, that's just one answer. There is another answer: install the floor before the cabinets. Part of the answer depends upon what you're using for the flooring. As I understand it, if it's something soft, you would not want the cabinets on top of it. Part of it has to do with being able to pull things like the dishwasher out if it needs to be removed (so it doesn't get wedged in by the floor). There are a variety of reasons. Post your question (or do a search) on the Kitchen forum and you will at least get an answer that it is something to decide, not a set rule as handymac implies.

• sarah428
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're putting in cork flooring.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

We did floor before cabinets. It has a nicer finished look (no tile edges butting up to the cabinets, and it allows the footprint to be changed later.

If you browse the kitchen forum, you'll see that the topic is often debated. In the end, it's your choice. But do make sure that if you put in the cabinets first, you put plywood under them so they're the same level as the floor.

• bill_g_web
    15 years ago

I believe for a cork floor, which I assume will be floating, I'd listen to Handymac - put the floor in after the cabs. Check with your floor source/manufacturer for verification. I've heard that the same goes for some floating laminates - don't install anything heavy over the floor - I guess for 2 reasons: The floor will distort under the load and the load will restrict the floor from moving with temp and humidity. If my guess is wrong, maybe someone will correct me.

• jams001
    15 years ago

If you browse the kitchen forum, you'll see that the topic is often debated. In the end, it's your choice. But do make sure that if you put in the cabinets first, you put plywood under them so they're the same level as the floor.
    ,There is another answer: install the floor before the cabinets. Part of the answer depends upon what you're using for the flooring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Humidifier Filters

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

jams001,

Hard to believe these sordid attempts at free advertising by low class idiots. Open up your wallet and advertise legally like classy and succesful business people do.

• allison1888
    15 years ago

Floors should always be installed under the cabinets. Yes, you waste a little flooring, but it is the professional way to do it.

• snoonyb
    15 years ago

An interesting segway from the topic,"order of things to be done - kitchen remodeling."

The following is the product of some 30 odd years of remodeling experience.

1) Define the exact area you intend to address.
    2) In a kitchen remodel finalize the list of new
    appliances, plumbing fixtures and obtain installation
    brochures.Will these selections require changes in your
    existing elec. and plumbing services.
    3) On graph paper, develop a floor plan with the
    appliances placed.
    4) Select the cabinets, counter and floor covering
    material.
    NOTE:Keep in mind that "bag-n-box" cabinets, those available from the "big box stores" dimensions are generally divisible by 3" and have a standard toe kick of 4", and that variations are available at an "up-charge."
    Custom cabinets do not carry these limitations and you can have a 5" toe kick to compensate for the height of the flooring.
    5) Electrical;
    Do you have enough counter recep.
    Are you planning for under cabinet lighting.
    Are you changing your area illumination.
    Do you have two appliance circuits.(All counter recp.
    must be GFI protected.
    Do you have separate circuits for your DW,Disp., Trash
    compactor, Microwave and Instant HW?
    6) Plumbing;
    Are you replacing the sink in-kind, or enlarging?
    Are you adding any under sink appliances?
    Is your new DW a single appliance or Dish Drawers?
    Are you installing Instant H/W or a Tap-master?
    Is your Ref. water supply in the right location?
    NOTE:Know the product, get estimates, finalize your budget, make the necessary adjustments.
    7) Demo the cabinets, order the new, complete all the
    framing, elec. and plumbing changes, installation of
    windows, patching of damaged wall areas, prime with BIN
    or Zinser.
    8) If you are installing "bag-n-box" cabinets, anchor 1x3
    in the cabinet footprint to adjust the for the
    thickness of the new flooring.
    Custom should have been ordered with 5" toe kick.
    Set 3/4" OSB where all under counter appliances are to
    be installed.
    Set the rough top and the sink, if it is an under-mount.
    Stain and finish custom cabinets.
    9) Install the counters, appliances, finish elec. lighting
    and plumbing.

1. Finish painting and wall coverings.
    2. Install flooring.

Why the flooring last?
    The only person on the floor after everything that can drug across and or dropped on it, is the homeowner.

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

We always asked what the floor is going to be before install of the base cabinets and shimmed for height accordingly. That way there are no problems with the dishwasher install as well as any other appliance affected. It was rare to have the flooring installed first no matter the type with the exception of remodels where they kept the existing flooring. The only time now days that flooring should be installed first is with contemporary base cabinets that dont have a toe kick, but are open sitting on legs. Flooring and touch up paint should be one of the last things done wih the last being appliance installs.

• jams001
    15 years ago

your an idiot sierraeast not me!!!??

• sierraeast
    15 years ago

Jams001,If you check into the format of the garden web, it states that free advertising by folks who post on the forums is simply not allowed. If recognizing that and following the rules makes me an idiot, so be it. Im sure you are not anymore an idiot than i am and i apologize for the remark, but you should follow the guidelines of the forums in order to keep them intact and not risk losing the advise, experiences that are valued here by many. It's a free forum that could go away by rule breakers. You should respect that!