Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what material to use for crown molding???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 11:36

I seem to have read that there is a wide variety of materials of construction for crown molding presently. That I don't need to go with the traditional heavy wood crown. What do you recommend for cost and appearance? I've heard that molding made of gypsum (dry wall) can be found but where? Does it end up looking like painted wood? Or that there are lightweight alternatives that are easier to use and cheaper than pine. I still want it to look like wood so super smooth plastic crown wouldn't be preferable. I'd be interested in hearing of your experiences and where to buy (mail order, specialty lumber yards, etc).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what material to use for crown molding???

"I've heard that molding made of gypsum"

You probably mean plaster, nothing like gypsum drywall.

Before drywall saw wide use as finished walls, plaster walls had moldings 'run in place' on the wall.

You can purchase plaster molding sections to attach to the wall now instead of running them in place.

A search on 'plaster trim' will show sources.

o
RE: what material to use for crown molding???

Lightweight plastic is available that works very well for crown molding. It can be found with a rougher molded surface to mimic painted wood. And there are varieties with paper coverings to look like wood.

MDF is also made, but requires two or three people to install since it breaks very easily.

Pine is, IMHO, a terrible wood for trim. Poplar is much better(for painting)and maple is as good, just usually more expensive. Maple has the advantage of being stainable(or dyed) and used with just a varnish/etc. finish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here