Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljalter

Yes or no on the grids in windows?

ljalter
14 years ago

Hi all -

Sorry, totally not sure what they are called, but hubby and I are debating the window grids in the replacement windows we are getting.

Our home has them in the front windows now, and getting them in the replacements adds only $400 total cost, but he thinks they are "dated" and "going out of style" when I think they are sort of classic. Our entire neighborhood has the grids, but these are 20+ year old single pane aluminum windows, and most haven't replaced them yet. He worries we will get the grids and when the rest start replacing, they won't, and we will be out of style.

Thoughts? Anyone totally against the grids? FWIW, Our home is two story white limestone - very classic for central Texas. Nothing really modern about it.

Thanks for the help!

Laura

Comments (12)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

I personally prefer cleaner lines and an unobstructed view. I vote no grids.

• missjulied
    14 years ago

I think it depends on the style of your house. I live in a Folk Victorian, and the muntins (that's what they're called) look perfect. But they would look wrong in a mid-century modern home.

They are definitely more of a pain to clean, and the view is more obstructed (though you do get used to it), but it also adds a "cute" factor.

Can you take a photo of your house and photoshop out the grids on your windows to see what it might look like without them?

• weedyacres
    14 years ago

I live in a neighborhood of newer homes, and most have the grids. Nowadays you get them between the glass so that they're easy to clean.

• handymac
    14 years ago

Simple solution---get removeable muntins. You don't like the look, remove them. Like the look, leave them in place.

• weed30 St. Louis
    14 years ago

I don't like them, too busy looking. And if I were to actually clean a window, I'm sure they would make the job more difficult.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

Agree that it depends on the style of your house. We compromised and put grids on top/nothing on bottom, and I like it. We can remove them if we want, but I think they look better in this very traditional style of house. Mid-install:

Another option is something like this:

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

They can be quite modern, even with muntins:
    {{!gwi}}From Misc photos
    {{!gwi}}From Misc photos
    {{!gwi}}From Misc photos

• macv
    14 years ago

The style of the house, especially as demonstrated by the trim detailing should dictate whether you need a secondary level of detail to reinforce the overall style. If a greater level of detail is needed it is best to use simulated divided lites where the muntins are glued onto the glass with a dark spacer between the glass panes aligned with the muntins. If a lesser level of detail is appropriate, omit muntins altogether. I would avoid using removable grids or between the glass muntins because I think they fail to achieve any coherent architectural effect and have been adopted by so many developers of housing and strip shopping centers.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

I have the newer energy efficient windows so the grids are inside the glass. Grids vs no grids, I think it is a personal choice. No wrong answer here.

• beware
    14 years ago

Agree with the poster who said to consider style of the home. On a traditional style of home, muntins, at least in some form, look better than no muntins, IMO. They also make the between the glass kind that not so skinny and skimpy, and look more hefty and realistic. The skinny ones usually look pretty bad.

• hbrobins
    last year

Muntins are awful. The worst thing about them: they obscure the view from the window. Cleaning is also a pain unless they are between the glass--but if between the glass, you can't remove them. No one is being fooled into believing you have actual divided pane windows. I have between-the-panes muntins on my windows and notice (and hate) them every day.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company