Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seekingsun_gw

Virgin wood - should we be the one to defile it?

seekingsun
10 years ago

We are going to be putting our house on the market in the next few weeks. Lots of projects and removing of furniture has already been completed. The major stumbling block is whether we paint the wood paneling in the room we are currently using as an office. The house would be listed as 3 bedrooms and this room is part of that count.

Our house is in a neighborhood of California ranch mid century modern homes (very mid priced homes - empty nesters/snow birds, first time buyers usually are the target market). There is some historical significance to them but really just to the right buyer. And this is the Midwest so there isn't quite as much of a renaissance of modern as perhaps in the West Coast. The paneling is redwood which is continued through the house and also shows up in a built-in in the hallway, a small wall of paneling in the entry and in the beam across the vaulted ceiling. All of those are unpainted. The wood is a little beat up, but has been here since 1954. I have nicely filled the worst of the nail holes. We had a professional staging designer come in and she said to leave it unpainted. Although, she also said "I usually tell people to paint paneling but this is nice". Suggested we add a tent note to the walls about it being the redwood.

My FIL is insisting we paint it (the room is too dark, no one wants it) and hubby has been swayed that way. I think it is sad to cover up the original wood and once we paint no one will every undo it and want to strip it off again.

So confused! What would you want? Thanks

Comments (7)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

In a MCM, painting that paneling would be a crime and devalue the home. If the room is dark, address the lighting needs that it has. Some uplighting above the paneling and perhaps additional ceiling fixtures would work. As would some recessed "wall washers" to highlight all of that beautiful wood.

Do NOT touch that paneling!

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

Disclaimer: I am an MCM fan.

Without seeing the rest of the house, I don't know to what extent your house is true MCM/Atomic Ranch vs. a simple 1950s ranch home with some features that would be shared with other more architecturally distinct homes of the period. But even absent that knowledge, I don't think you should paint the paneling.

If your market is first-time buyers, chances are they might appreciate the original features of your home. I would even play them up, like you've done with the curtains in that room. I would also make sure that the realtor you've selected (if you're using a realtor) understands what MCM is. Many don't, and don't know how to market it. Worse yet, they'll feel they need to apologize to other agents/potential buyers for an "outdated" house.

And can I just say that your FIL is a rare bird, indeed. He's one of the few men . . . ever . . . who has thought it was a good idea to paint wood. ; ) Ignore him. He knows not what he says.

• seekingsun
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, it is an atomic ranch. The problem is that so much of the rest of the house has been altered (before our time). The built-in vanity in the master is gone, most doors are painted over and the stone fireplace was painted. We haven't specifically decorated the rest of the house in MCM style either. I am wondering if I should compromise and paint the office/bedroom but leave the wood in the front area. I might need to leave for a few days so I don't hear the wood crying...

I have been through a few things in my life but selling a house is now at the top of the list of confusing and frustrating endeavors! It is so hard to step away from our own style (on which we have received compliments) and think about some generic, blah buyer...

Attached a photo of the living area. Not staged yet!!! So ignore the clutter and toddler debris.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

another vote to NOT paint.

cool looking house btw. I'd be upset if I bought
    it and the wood was painted.

best of luck.

• Tmnca
    10 years ago

I do not think you should paint it - and I normally love painted panelling but yours is very pretty as is. I would however removed the curtains and mini blinds and put on some sheer curtains instead. That will lighten and open up the room, and provide a more neutral decor.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Don't paint it.

But do change the curtain fabric.

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

NO! Don't paint that. I personally like the retro look of the curtain. It's groovy!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource