Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lain_gw

Sunroom size and flooring suggestions

lain
17 years ago

Hi all. We are in the process of planning an addition on to our home. I call it a sunroom, although it will be a four-season room with a gas fireplace in our Mid-western house. I envision a quaint room with a couple of chairs and a loveseat, a small dinette set, and a couple of end tables...just enough to create a cozy and inviting conversation area. However, the more people I talk to (including builders), the more they are saying to go with a larger area. (We haven't decided on a size yet. Although I was thinking of maybe around a 14 x 16.) "Most people wish they would have gone larger afterwards," is what I am hearing. I don't want a family room... And I don't want our living room to lose it's function. We live in a 1600 sq ft ranch with finished basement. There are five members of our household. It's not large, but I don't feel cramped. The sunroom will have a reversed gable style roof with an open ceiling, so I am envisioning an open feel even if the room is not that large. A few people have said they wouldn't go smaller than a 16 x 20 room. Does anyone have any feed back as to size and function of a room addition? Also, I am exploring flooring materials for this room. Any suggestions here? The room will have a crawl space and will be heated. Does any one know about cork flooring? (I think I have decided against carpeting as the room will have an entrance to the outside as well). Thank you so much for your input!

Comments (8)

• Kathsgrdn
    17 years ago

I wouldn't go with carpeting. That's what the previous owner put in mine and I hate it. It's dirty all the time because of the kids and dogs tramping through there with muddy feet. Our's is 20 x 12 and is plenty big enough for us. I'll post a link below. You have to scroll down to see them. There are others of the sunroom in album 13, that are during the daytime...and some of them under album 4 of what it looked like before I bought the house.

I'm thinking of putting Pergo down to match what I have in the kitchen now. Put down a throw rug so it's still cozy.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunroom

• lain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you kathsgrdn for your response and your photos. It looks like you have plenty of room. Your experience with carpeting in the sunroom is just how I had pictured it would be. Good luck with your new flooring choice!

• sharon_sd
    17 years ago

We have had cork flooring in our kitchen and family room for over two years. This is a working farm and the cork is the main floor between the back door and the rest of the house. It looks almost as good as it did when it was installed. It is warm and comfortable underfoot, as well as easy to clean and forgiving when things fall on it. We had cork floors in our first home and really liked them, but they needed regular waxing. These modern ones don't.

Our cork is a medium brown Torlys uniclic that we laid ourselves. We have had no problems with fading, but before we installed ours, there was a discussion on the flooring forum where someone indicated that they had ripped our an entire houseful of cork floors because of the fading that ocurred in the first 6 months. It may be a problem with unstained cork, or with certain brands. If you are going to put it in a sun room, you might want to get a sample and try it in full sun for several days with something solid blocking the light to a part of it, so you can compare.

Here is a link that might be useful: Torlys flooring

• lain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you sharon sd on your thoughts on cork flooring. I haven't seen any cork flooring in person but it looks beautiful. Great idea on placing a part of a sample in the sun! (There's so many things I normally wouldn't think of!) Can I ask you, what is the maintenance of your floor? I was also thinking of matching our kitchen floor with whatever we choose for the sunroom, so it's good to hear that you have cork in your kitchen. Thank you again!

• sharon_sd
    17 years ago

I sweep or vacuum it. When it gets things stuck on it I wipe it off with water. I have a "refresher" from the manufacturer that they recommend using every few months. I don't use it that often.

• nannygoat_gw
    17 years ago

I would have the size of the sunroom to relate to rest of your house. You don't want the sunroom to be too large in relation to the overall house. Someone with an eye for design could assist you there.

We had our sunroom added on 18 years ago. At the time I researched ways to make it energy-efficient. One recommendation was to have tile floors as the tiles absorb heat during the day and release it at night. There are also other recommendations such as the type of windows (we used Anderson low-e) and the amount of roof overhang.

Another factor to consider is the orientation to the pattern of the sunlight during the day. We have a Cape Cod style house with the sunroom going off perpendicular to the house at the rear. We have a great southern exposure and I am able to grow geraniums there all year round.

Another area to consider is the backup heating for your sunroom if you live in an area where you would need that. The remainder of our house is oil-heated but we have an electric baseboard heater in our sunroom and it really runs up the electric bill. (We keep the sunroom closed off except when we are using it because of the cat getting into my plants.)

There are books out there that would address all these topics. Look at Lowe's or Home Depot.

• freedee
    17 years ago

I would recomend slate floors. Someone on this site said that she had them in her kitchen and they look exactly the same when they are clean, as when they are dirty. Sound good to me. I would recomend radiant floor heating. I has a good experience with Radient-tec. Other have wrote about that topic on the heating forum.

Before deciding how big the room should be, you need to narrow down what you'll be using the space for. Then, map out the furniture you would use there. I'm building a 13.5' hexagonal addition to my kitchen. I will only be using the space as a breakfast room,(everyday eating, they used to call it a dinette.) It's framed out now and it looks like it's the right size. If you start having a dinning area and sofa etc. You'll need a lot more space. In truth, you'll find you spend alot of your time at the kitchen table (dinette), if your budget is short, maybe that's all you need.