Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_flynn

Ceiling Fans - 60W Bulbs or 13W Bulbs?

Pines Everywhere
10 years ago

Crosspost (Lighting and Remodeling) -- I am remodeling a Dining Room and a Living Room and ordering two ceiling fans off the Internet (Quorom Brand - 52" Ea.).

I am attempting to select light kits for these and I am confused. I need brightness in both these room but the options are limited.

My choices are:
- 4 Light Kit (requires Medium Base 13W Bulbs)
- 3 Light Kit (requires B-Type Candelabra 60W Bulbs)

Which would you recommend for brightness and Bulb replacement availability? (i.e. Home Depot, Aco, etc.)

Comments (20)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

IMO light at the bottom of a fan is not acceptable in a residence so I would skip it and light the walls with sconces or recessed lights.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renovator -- what do you mean 'not acceptable'? Doesn't look right, isn't popular, doesn't shed enough light to be useable... ??

I have a 70ish home with no A/C (base board heating) and three other rooms already have fans with lights. Seems to do the job with airflow and they are "older style" so they each take 3 regular base 60W bulbs. I'm trying to solve my cooling issue and lighting issue with one fixture in my two remaining rooms.

Interested in your thoughts .... thanks.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Are the 13W cfl's?

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Are the 13W cfl's?

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes snoonyb -- The catalog says:

13W M Spiral CFL

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Then thats the bulb to use and to achieve "bright," 5400 color rating will get you near halogen.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Snoonyb -- I'll order that light kit.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

The center of the ceiling is poor location for lighting. The light is in your eyes and on the center of the floor. I would buy fans with no light fixture and use wall and ceiling fixtures to light the walls to make the room feel larger and more comfortable.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response Renovator -- I understand your position now.

• hendricus
    10 years ago

You can get CFLs in candelabra base. That's what I replace mine with for the fan/light. The lights on the fan are high enough not to get in my eyes.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks hendricus -- very helpful. One fan is for the Dining Room over the table and will be on a dimmer. The second fan is for a large living room that has NO overhead fixture now and has a 9ft ceiling. I have two floor lamps in that room, a light on the mantle and a light on a foyer table. When I sit in the middle of the room (on the sofa) to read ... I can't see a blasted thing -- I think I'm gonna dig overhead lighting there! LOL.

Thanks for the tip on the bulbs!

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

While doing your research be mindful of the wattage available in the candelabra base .

• NebKathy
    10 years ago

Just a note. I do not think CEFs do well with a dimmer. I think it says not to use them. I have had trouble with the bulbs burning out it a short amount of time.

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Snoonyb and NebKathy -- Thanks for the additional info. I had to make a decision by 5pm EST today to get my order in so it would be shipped in time for my Electrician's scheduled date.

I ended up getting the 60W B-Type Candelabra Bulb / Light Kit. That was the only available for one of my fans -- so I got both fans with the same light kit just for bulb replacement. I should be good on the Dimmer switches then too. This bulb stuff is so confusing to me -- guess I am old-fashioned.

I just love those little flame-tip bulbs. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Light Kit - for Dining Room

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the fan -- just because I am excited about it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceiling Fan for Dining Room

This post was edited by PinesEverywhere on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 19:41

• renovator8
    10 years ago

I recommend LED lamps in whatever size you prefer.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I lived in a house with only lamp and sconce lighting, and if you happen to be in the middle of the sofa, with no light near, you would kill for an overhead light.

We bought a home recently and completely renovated it. First thing on the list: Can Lights! They are everywhere, and guess what? My lamps are going to family first (whoever gets their dibs in), and Craigs list next. Our house is amazingly lit, but we did need fans here in So CA, and we ended up with some beauties with glass light shades. We have not yet turned the ceiling fan lights on, but they sure look pretty, and the fans move the air all the time!

My best to you! Enjoy your lit ceiling fans!!

Suzi

• donnar57
    10 years ago

We have ceiling fans with light fixtures in both our living room and family room. We purposely replaced the living room fans since they did not have light fixtures and we wanted them for general lighting purposes. Our fans are on a lot, though the light fixtures aren't on as much. The lights have ordinary 40w incandescent bulbs in them and have four lights each. (Two of our bedrooms also have 4 lights on the fans, and the two smaller bedrooms have 3 lights.)

We are about to add a ceiling fan to the last room in the house that does not have a fan in it, the loft room (AKA office). It will have a light ring.

Donjna

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Suzi & Donjna -- thanks so much for the personal dissertation. I feel better about my purchase. Worst case ... I send the light kits back but I think I will like them.

Suzi .. you got it about sitting in the center of the room with no lighting because it is all against the walls. Donjna ... I (like you) will probably not use the lights a lot but be glad they are they optionally.

The fans and light kits arrived today -- amazing service by 1StopLighting that sell Quorum fixtures. I am very impressed by the price, the quality and the service. Electrician is coming on Tuesday so .... that will be the real test!

Thanks folks!!

• Pines Everywhere
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I last posted on July 11 the following:
    The fans and light kits arrived today -- amazing service by 1StopLighting that sell Quorum fixtures. I am very impressed by the price, the quality and the service. Electrician is coming on Tuesday so .... that will be the real test!

Today Tuesday 7/16:
    The fans are installed and they really are magnificent. No glitches with the product at all. The light kits fit superbly to the units I bought and provide sufficient lighting. One set of glass covers are on back-ordered until August but I can wait.
    Thanks to everyone on this thread that contributed help. Another GardenWeb success story!!