Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
foundation cost question

Posted by shadygrove (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 9:01

I am in the contemplative stages of an addition to my small ranch home and have two areas I could logically build on to. One of these spots would be on grade, and the other would be building onto an area that is elevated about four feet (these would be the front and rear of my house respectively).

The original foundation is concrete block and I presume that the new addition would match this foundation type. Taking a theoretical eighteen by twenty-four foot addition space, can someone advise me on the approximate difference in costs between laying on grade versus three to four feet of built-up concrete block foundation? Is it huge or insignificant in the scheme of a remodel? Would this be a difference in a day of labor? A week? I am just clueless and unable to find this type of comparison on the Web to help me focus my design direction.

Thank you, folks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: foundation cost question

Is your concrete block foundation a basement? Crawl space? Slab?

o
RE: foundation cost question

It is a workable crawl space in the back of the house--five or six visible courses of block below the cedar siding--then reduces to about two blocks in height in the front. So never a true slab.

I guess that my actual question is: How expensive are courses of block?

Thanks for the reply, weedyacres.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here