Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlr98004

need to make bedroom windows egress compliant!

dlr98004
9 years ago

our ground level bedroom window sills are 46" off the floor. to be egress compliant, they cannot exceed 44". opening size is compliant. can we permanently attach a small step beneath the window to reduce the height and make it compliant? perhaps attach a ladder to the wall?

any suggestions appreciated!

Comments (13)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Existing or new build?
    Who said?
    Why were they "invited" to give their opinion?

• hippy
    9 years ago

If the house was built before the codes took effect.

They can not legally make you do anything to them as long as you do not replace the original window. It is known as the "Grandfather clause".

If you are in the process or had the windows installed after the codes took effect. Then whomever installed the windows should have installed them to regulation height and width at the time of install.

Cant say in you area. But here a "step stool, ladder" is not allowed on first floor windows to bring them into code.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Building codes are written for new construction and states take different approaches to alterations and renovations.

If the windows were code compliant when built, the occupancy use has not changed and the windows are not being replaced it is common for state building code amendments to allow a permanent step or platform to be built under an emergency escape and rescue window.

It is wise to avoid the term "egress" when researching or asking about this issue since egress is not grandfathered in building codes.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Raise the floor (or a portion of the floor) 2"??? Maybe make it a design element, tying something else into it.

Also just had to deal with bedroom egress windows. Fortunately my village building inspector has been very helpful with suggestions to make things code compliant. I simply asked him, "what can I do?"

• homebound
    9 years ago

I would get the final inspection and see if it slides. Probably if you're pleasant.

This post was edited by homebound on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:52

• mdln
    9 years ago

Homebound gave a very good suggestion, my inspector only measured a couple things.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Window seat?

• mdln
    9 years ago

Great suggestion kirkhall!

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Window seat will make it to tall for an egress unit. i believe it needs t be low enough that a child or small adult can step up easily enough to get out.

• dlr98004
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks for all the suggestions. local building inspector said one single step the width of the window would be fine.
    thanks again!

• renovator8
    9 years ago

The bedroom window requirement is for emergency escape and rescue. The height of the window stool must be no greater than 44" above the adjacent floor surface. Steps must be approved by the building official. The egress requirement from all rooms is in a different code section and consists of doors and corridors not windows.

• Kyle Fuller
    11 months ago

Does anyone have examples of how the step looked after adding it? We're considering adding a step but wanted to see some examples of ways someone could make this look nice and I'm not finding any examples online...

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022