Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need to make bedroom windows egress compliant!

Posted by dianelouise (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 8:48

our ground level bedroom window sills are 46" off the floor. to be egress compliant, they cannot exceed 44". opening size is compliant. can we permanently attach a small step beneath the window to reduce the height and make it compliant? perhaps attach a ladder to the wall?

any suggestions appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need to make bedroom windows egress compliant!

Existing or new build?
Who said?
Why were they "invited" to give their opinion?

o

If the house was built before the codes took effect.

They can not legally make you do anything to them as long as you do not replace the original window. It is known as the "Grandfather clause".

If you are in the process or had the windows installed after the codes took effect. Then whomever installed the windows should have installed them to regulation height and width at the time of install.

Cant say in you area. But here a "step stool, ladder" is not allowed on first floor windows to bring them into code.

o

I have heard of people building a small step up at bedroom windows but it would have to be a permanent step up and not something removable.

o

Building codes are written for new construction and states take different approaches to alterations and renovations.

If the windows were code compliant when built, the occupancy use has not changed and the windows are not being replaced it is common for state building code amendments to allow a permanent step or platform to be built under an emergency escape and rescue window.

It is wise to avoid the term "egress" when researching or asking about this issue since egress is not grandfathered in building codes.

o

Raise the floor (or a portion of the floor) 2"??? Maybe make it a design element, tying something else into it.

Also just had to deal with bedroom egress windows. Fortunately my village building inspector has been very helpful with suggestions to make things code compliant. I simply asked him, "what can I do?"

o

I would get the final inspection and see if it slides. Probably if you're pleasant.

This post was edited by homebound on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:52

o

Homebound gave a very good suggestion, my inspector only measured a couple things.

o

Window seat?

o

Great suggestion kirkhall!

o

Window seat will make it to tall for an egress unit. i believe it needs t be low enough that a child or small adult can step up easily enough to get out.

o

thanks for all the suggestions. local building inspector said one single step the width of the window would be fine.
thanks again!

o

The bedroom window requirement is for emergency escape and rescue. The height of the window stool must be no greater than 44" above the adjacent floor surface. Steps must be approved by the building official. The egress requirement from all rooms is in a different code section and consists of doors and corridors not windows.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here