Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to reduce outside noise - Cork?

Posted by garrai81 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 7:41

My master bedroom faces the street, and noise is an issue sometimes.

I believe that there is some "insulation" in the outside wall.

What is the best way to reduce noise from the outside?

Can I buy cork to line the wall (inside the bedroom)? I do not care about appearances at this point.

The window is already sealed.

I already have a white noise machine, but my hearing is too darn good. I hear everything...and that makes it hard to fall asleep.

Thanks.

Mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to reduce outside noise - Cork?

Cork will not help. Since most of the sound is from the windows you might try interior or exterior storm windows.

o

If you can't replace the windows you can try hanging a heavy curtain. Look for styles that are lined with a blackout material....it will help muffle the noise a little. You may be able to find them at JCPenney.

Otherwise, look into buying some good quality ear plugs.

o

How old is the window? High quality? If older you may need to replace with a good quality window.

o

Yes! have your windows replaced they are not going to help anymore they are outdated, better get installed storm windows.

o

Air sealing, plus adding a second layer of drywall over sheet foam and replacing the windows with better quality models is about the only after the fact thing that is within most people's power to do unless you rebuild the room entirely. Cork won't do diddly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here